When Worlds Collide - Chapter Two

Harvey Anderson ---------->

I drove for a while before I stopped in what I knew was a bad neighbourhood.  I recognized it from TV. I pretty much fell out of the car onto the sidewalk in tears. No one came to me. I knew what they must be thinking. 'Poor little rich girl has allowance cut down....’ My heart felt like it had been ripped out of my chest.

I heard a car screech to a stop. I didn't bother looking up. If someone wanted to rob me, they could just take what they wanted. Unfortunately it was Harvey. I could just make out his blonde hair.

"Brooke, please please give me a chance."

"NO!" I screamed through my tears. "You hurt me. You fucking asshole! Leave me alone!"

"Not until we talk." He grabbed my shoulders.

"Don’t you fucking touch me!" I screamed even louder. A door opened and the sound of footsteps got closer. Harvey flew off me and onto the floor. He tried to fight back against someone in grey sweats and a tight black t-shirt.

"She said get off her!" The other guy yelled as he punched Harvey. "Get in your car and leave her!" Harvey scrambled to his feet and ran to his car. The boy turned around. His green eyes locked onto mine. He smirked as he stepped closer.

"I have pepper spray." I whispered trying to look serious, knowing my eyes are puffy and red.

"Good. Maybe one day you'll need it." He smiled and shook his head. "You look like you need a coffee, want to come in?" I looked at him cautiously. "If you think I'll attack you, my mom is inside." He held out his hand. Reluctantly I took it. He picked up my car keys and locked my car. "I'm Ben by the way."

"Brooke." I whispered.

His house was so much smaller than mine. As soon as we walked in we were in the lounge. The kitchen was to the left. Everything was on one floor. I couldn't imagine living here. My bedroom was bigger than his lounge!

His mom was in the kitchen sat at a small table that took up most of the room in there. "Hey mom, it’s all okay out there. This is Brooke; I think she needs a coffee." I looked down and noticed we were still holding hands.

"Nice to meet you Brooke. I'm Jenna." She held out her hand, reluctantly letting go of Ben, I shook her hand. "Boyfriend trouble out there?"

I shook my head. "He's not my boyfriend. Anymore." Ben poured me a cup of black coffee. He passed me a milk bottle and a bowl of sugar. "Thank you." I smiled gratefully.

We made small talk with his mom before she left for work. "Thank you." I smiled at Ben feeling more relaxed in his company. "For saving me."

"No problem. I'm sure any decent guy would have done the same thing. Its just around here no one likes to get caught up in other peoples business. So how old are you? I haven't seen you around anywhere."

"Eighteen. I'm a senior at Riverside High." Ben just nodded. "How old are you?"

"Twenty. I went to a different school, obviously... Want a tour?" He smiled. I found myself warming to him. I nodded and picked up my coffee.

All that there was really to see was his room. Predictable boys’ room. TV, Playstation, models on his wall. It was tidy though, with the exception of a few cardboard boxes scattered in the corner.

In the tiny garage you accessed through a door in the kitchen was his 'pride and joy'. A black 1969 Chevy. He leaned against the hood of the car and I'd be lying if I said he didn't look hot.

"Nice." I smiled. "I... Uh... The car I mean." I stammered. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm always so confident around guys I can talk forever...but this boy made me feel a little self conscious.