When Worlds Collide - 11

Brooke POV

I left Ben at home with his mom. I had to go and confront mine. I walked the twenty minutes to Harvey's house, wondering if my mom was there with his dad. Selfish bitch, nothing was going to stop her getting her slutty hands on the Anderson's money.

As I walked up the driveway I clutched my bag a little tighter. Harvey's car was in the driveway. Nervously, I rang the door bell and held my breath waiting for an answer. Harvey opened the door wearing just his boxers. Just a few months ago my heart would have leapt into my throat.

"Brooke!" He wrapped his arms around me. "I've missed you so so much, I'm so sorry for everything." I stiffened and pushed him away. "Come in, everyone is here." I looked at my feet and walked inside. Sure enough there had been a party last night.

Vodka and beer bottles everywhere. The stupid red cups stacked up on the dining table. In the back lounge, where us kids hung out, sat the people I was once proud to call my friends. "Brooke!"  Katy called my name. "I'm so sorry for how I spoke to you and we are all so sorry for how we treated you before you left." She sobbed. "I miss you." It was a whisper.

"I actually only came because Ben and I are back in town and I heard about my mom. I was wondering if she was here or..."

"You're still with him?" Harvey yelled. He smashed a glass against a wall and carried on screaming and cursing. "You should be with me."

I held up my hand for all to see. The room fell silent. "I married him."

"He's a loser Brooke! He has no prospects at all. How is he going to provide for you?" Harvey asked calmly. It was scary. "He's a bum and you know it."

He's not a loser or a bum. He's a villain. Sure he lies, he bluffs. "He's unreliable. You have an unsecure future together." Simone looked concerned.

"He fell in love with Brooke, he's a sucker." Mitch smiled. "Leave them to it."

He is a sucker for me, a sucker with a gun. The gun in my bag. I smiled as I thought of how hot he looked last week in yet another crappy town. He sat on the end of the bed holding the gun. I walked out of the bathroom wearing a towel. He smirked and lay the gun on the table and stalked over to me like I was his prey.

I was brought out of my day dream by Katy calling my name. "Your ring is so pretty." She smiled staring at my hand. "You seem so different." She's right once upon a time I'd be here in a pretty dress, perfect straight hair... I looked at myself in the mirror behind Katy. Naturally wavy hair, a fringe, tight skinny jeans, a strapless top showing my tan. I'd stuck to the heels though.

"Excuse me, I need the bathroom." I left the room and ran upstairs to one of the bathrooms. I locked the door and took a deep breath. I'm losing focus. I pulled my cell from my bag and texted Ben. 'Call me, love you xxx'

Slowly I made my way back into the lounge. Harvey passed me a glass of orange juice. "So, tell us what you and...Ben have been doing?"

"Well we've been on a road trip. He took me to Texas, New Orleans, Las Vegas."

"What was your favourite place?" Megan asked, she was the one person I regretted not talking to.

"Vegas without a doubt." Harvey's face turned white. "Harv?" I smirked knowing how pissed he was. "You look sick."

"Your whore of a mother is with my father at The Four Seasons." He looked away in disgust. Britney Spears' Criminal played from my bag, Ben's ringtone.

"Hey husband, come get me? Yeah I know where she is. Love you too." I snapped my phone shut. "I gotta go, we should talk soon." I smiled meekly at the girls as I stood up.