when Worlds Collide - Chapter Six

Photo of Kim on the side

I switched my bedroom lamp on, cursing whoever was calling me at this time. "Hello?" I mumbled, my voice heavy with sleep.

"Sorry its late. But I just... Want to talk." I sat up instantly recognizing the voice.

"Brooke, are you okay?" If that asshole has hurt her I swear to god!

"Yeah I just can't sleep and, well, there's not many people who'd talk to me right now." She sighed. We talked for a couple of hours. It seemed impossible that we would have more to say after this afternoon but soon enough she was laughing and I knew she was smiling.

"Shit it's four am. I better let you get back to sleep. I'm sorry for calling."

"Call me anytime. I'm here to listen. I like you Brooke."

"I like you too. Now I need my beauty sleep. I'll maybe see you soon...I hope." God I wish she was here now.

"I hope so too. Goodnight sweetie." I lay awake for a while longer. Brooke was literally all I could see. Even in the dark. She had a hold over me. Not like Kimmy or any of the other girls over the years. If I told Brooke I would call her, I think I would actually call her... Shaking my head I flipped my pillow to the cool side and closed my eyes.

*****

I knew she was looking at me. She does it all the damn time. "Hey Ben, looking good today." She smiled over the fence.

"Yeah you too Mrs Dylan. How's Mr. Dylan?" I casually asked, reminding her she's married... And old enough to be my mom.

"Away on business.. Gosh I'm so lonley."

"So get a job. Or a dog." I pulled another bunch of weeds from the ground. She bit her lip as she continued to watch. Thanks to us having such a small house I heard the faint knocking on the door. "Excuse me." I headed inside taking off the gloves and my shirt.

There she was, the girl of my dreams. "Brooke! Are you okay?" She never spoke. "Brooke?" She apologized and said she never should have come here. What the fuck? I told her I'm here for her anytime. I stopped her from walking away.

"Ben." She sighed my name. It affected me, I'm not going to lie. I pulled her inside and shut the door. I kept hold of her until we made it back outside.

"Sit." I pointed to the chairs we spent yesterday sat on playing Go Fish.

"Did I disturb you?"

"No I was just working on the garden." I threw a bottle of water to her. I watched her take a sip. Oh to be the water right now! 'Stop it!' I thought to myself. I couldn't let myself think like this around her. "It was nice to talk to you last night, I slept well after that." I poured the rest of the water over my head, it's too damn hot out here.