When Worlds Collide - Chapter Seven

"C'mon guys help me out. White shirt, or checked shirt?" I held up the two shirts.

"Well white looks good on you, unless you wanna go all cowboy." Kim shrugged.

"Think Jake Gyllenhall in Brokeback. If only..." Stan sighed. His eyes glazed over as he daydreamed.

"Fuck you both." I threw the shirts in the closet. I pulled a white t shirt over my head and grabbed a black shirt. I left it unbuttoned. "Her parents are going to hate me."

"Of course they will. They're rich! But who cares, Brooke invited you and she likes you."

"What if.. And just hear me out, she doesn't like me she's just using me to get to her parents?"

"Benny, relax. We saw her look at you. Its like you are her hero or something. She only had eyes for you on Sunday. And I'm sorry but what kind of cheerleader misses a chance to get all crazy bitch on other girls then party to sit in your kitchen with you and your mom?" Kimmy stared right at me. "Look, if it turns out she's just using you, she's not worth it. But I think you have nothing to worry about. Go get her tiger!" She slapped my ass and chased me out of my own home.

Stood at the bay window of this incredible house was a sight for sore eyes. She looked like an angel in a white summer dress. She ran to the door as my car slowed to a stop. "You live here?"

"No I exist here." Jeez she sounded so sad about this house. "Want a tour of the Taylor household?"

"Jeez do we have time?" She took my hand and led me inside. Her house was so much bigger than mine. I mean my bedroom was smaller than her en-suite bathroom. It was when we got to the garage she began to talk my language. A blood red Lotus! Holy fuck!

"Beautiful isn't she?" I turned to see a guy leaning in the door. "I'm Josh, B's brother." We shook hands.

"Ben, Brooke's new friend." I was relieved he said brother... Brooke sure is beautiful. "The car is awesome man, just amazing." Brooke rolled her eyes in mock boredom but I could see she was pleased me and her brother were talking. Her father was next in and he joined the conversation saying he noticed my car outside.

"A friend of mine runs event days with sports cars where you can test drive and race stock cars. You should come with me and my friends, guys day out."

"Oh hell no Brooke, get away from the psycho." It was the blonde guy I punched outside my house.

"Anderson, get your filthy hands off my sister." Josh pointed at this loser kid. He let go of Brooke immediatly, his eyes flitted between me and her.

*****

Not going to lie, dinner was awkward. Brooke's mom and Mrs. Anderson kept the conversation firmly on Brooke and Harvey. How much in love they are, how they are just waiting for college to be over before the wedding and grand-children.

Josh nudged me a few times and told me to ignore them. "Dude, if she went back to that asshole I'd never speak to her again. I love my sister but he's the biggest mistake of her life. Even if she makes bad ones in the future, he's still the worst."

We kept the conversation quiet. Cars and sports. We had a lot in common. I felt bad for Brooke. Forced to sit next to that jerk, listening to the god awful plans that her mother was laying out for her.

*****

"So shall I see you tomorrow? I thought maybe we could go surfing?"

"Cool. It just sucks that I can't stay with you. The Anderson's will be here all night. Even freaking Josh jumped ship and left. What happened to women and children first?" Her head rested on my chest. She pressed right up against me. "Anyway go... Before your friends have my blood for keeping you all to myself."

"I'll call you tomorrow Brooke, goodnight beautiful." I kissed her gently just once on the lips. I didn't want a full on make out session. Who am I kidding of course I did! But her parents were inside and I kinda respected her father. And her ex was here... I'm not that kind of guy.

Ten minutes later I was at the bar. I only called in to tell the guys how dinner was. Kimmy and Stan couldn't resist the 'we told you so' when I described the look on her face when she looked at me tonight. I stayed for one drink - OJ I don't drink and drive - before I made my excuses and left.

Checking the trunk of my car I felt satisifed with what I had. I pulled the black mask out and carried it with me as I walked to the drivers seat door. I had been driving for a while when I drove past the gas station. Stupid places open 24 hours.

I took a deep breath and pulled on the mask. Walking through the alley way, I checked my gun. This is it. Now or never. The bell above the door chimed as I walked in. The cashier turned around. His customary smile faded to a look of panic. The color drained from his face.

"Hand over the cash and you'll live." I said as calmly as ever as I raised the gun. He began to open the register, his hands shaking. He pleaded with me in spanish. "Faster! Come on!"

The bag was feeling heavier and heavier. The cashier's eyes flitted outside the window and back to me. The bell above the door chimed. I spun my body around prepared to scare the crap out of the idiot who was ruining my plans. Those eyes, that face.

Slowly I lowered the gun and made my way towards her. Her breathing sped up. I held her wrist as I pulled her to the dark alleyway I came from.

I kept hold of her wrist as I dropped the bag and pulled the mask over my head. "Brooke what the hell were you doing there?" She burst into tears and punched my chest.

"Brooke I'd never hurt you, I've never hurt anyone." I let go of her and looked dead into her eyes. "Go." This is her chance, to run and never look back. She stayed still for a moment, I could see the conflict in her eyes. She looked at me and jumped. Right into my arms. Her lips crashed to mine.

The fireworks from the week before came back with a bigger bang. It was the fourth of July with new years eve rolled into one.

"You are the only good thing in my life Ben. A good guy, with a hint of bad ass. Meet you at your place? I think we need to talk." She smirked at me. I smiled and nodded, with a peck on her cheek I took off running down the alley.

****

"So." I mentally slapped myself. It was all I could say. It was hard to imagine that a few hours before the conversation was easy. There was no awkward silence. She ran her finger around the rim of her glass.

"Ben," she put the glass down and took her hand in mine. "That's you all over the news isn't it? You steal for a living?"

"No," I shook my head. "Not for a living Brooke, for extra cash to support my mom. I feel so freaking stupid. I could have hurt you tonight! And believe me that's the last thing I ever want to do. You deserve better than some petty criminal."

"I'm in love with a criminal."