When Worlds Collide - Chapter 10

"Good morning ma'am how are you today?" The cashier at the store smiled as I passed her two magazines, a bar of chocolate and some beef jerky.

"I'm good thank you. I love your bracelet." I genuinly did, it was a charm bracelet with angels. "This is a lovely town, how many people live here?"

"Three thousand ma'am. Most families have been here for generations."

The bell above the door rang and my palms started to sweat. I'd been in this position before. I knew he wouldn't hurt me. "Open the register and no one gets hurt. You," he pointed the gun in my face. "Hands behind your head and get on the ground." I fought the smile off my face as I did as I was told.

"Open the goddamn register!" He screamed at the woman. The gun clicked, he had taken the safety off. She opened the register. "Now, empty it in here or the girl loses her head!"

Thinking of my grandmother dying last christmas brought the tears to my eyes. "Please." I whispered.

"Shut up!" He barked. If I didn't know him I would be terrified. He's a little scary when he does this. "That's all?" The cashier nodded. I heard footsteps and the bell chime above the door. I remained on the floor.

"He's gone sweetie." She sobbed. I suddenly stopped crying and casually walked out of the store, leaving behind the jerky, chocolate and magazines.

We met three blocks away. "Hey princess, you okay?" He kissed my head then slammed the trunk of his car. The plates had been changed. "Let's get out of here."

****

I dipped my toes in the bath before I climbed in. I could hear Ben laughing at the TV. We were meant to go out tonight but at the last minute we decided to stay in the new motel. It was much less sleazier than the last one. I sighed and with a smile I slid down the bath immersing myself in the water.

When I finally got out of the bath, my fingers and toes were wrinkled.  I moisturised my body and slipped into pyjamas. "We have pay-per-view movies." Ben held up a pamphlet.

"You mean... Like...?"

"No princess, not the dirty kind." He laughed. "Actual movies. Three horror, two rom-coms and four action movies. Take your pick."

I scanned through the horror section until one caught my eye. "That one." I smiled sweetly.

"Great I've wanted to see this forver, I'll protect you baby don't worry." He smirked.

"Please Benny, I love horror. I assure you, you will literally shit your pants before I break into a nervous sweat." I grabbed a bag of chips and a bottle of beer. We settled down on the bed and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

Five minutes in I couldn't help myself. I turned my head to face him and yelled boo down his ear. He jumped off the bed letting out a little scream. I threw my head back in laughter, tears escaped from my eyes. "Oh shit that was so good! I need the bathroom." I staggered towards the bathroom still laughing.

When I stopped laughing, I slowly made my way back out into the room. "I'm sorry." I pouted and wrapped my arms around him. He kissed the side of my head and smiled at me. We watched the rest of the film in silence.

"If your dad hadn't left like he did, what do you think you'd be doing right now?" I asked curiously.

"Well, I'd like to have joined the army ya know. Defend my country and all that. Or at least finished school, gone to college and met one amazing girl I could see a future with." He smiled. "But just having one of those possibilites now is good enough for me."