07

"They what?" Bucky exclaims.

"They want me to help them turn her into a weapon."

"And you said 'yes'?" He yells out.

"My family is in danger! What else am I supposed to do?"

Bucky shakes his head in incredulity. "I still can't believe they would do that."

"Don't act so surprised." I snap. "I can only imagine how terrified Ophelia must be."

Bucky places his hand on my shoulder and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "You may make her stay here a lot more bearable," he says and sends me a small smile. "Maybe it's better this way."

"How is this any better?"

"Because she doesn't have to go through this alone."

I feel my shoulders slump and the aggravation fade as I realise that I have a chance to help a person who is stuck in this place.

I know it's not ideal but it's something.

***

I sit down on the bench that is a couple of feet away from the boxing ring that is in the centre of this large room.

I grab the ends of the sleeves of my worn sweater and ball them in my fists nervously as I wait for Ophelia to start her training. She's not here yet but I assume they're bringing her in soon.

I see a man, almost thrice her size step in the ring and start warming up. I grip on the edge of the wooden bench, the fact that Ophelia is going to train with this beast is nerve-racking.

"Marie!" I hear her call out for me and I turn around and see her running over to me, setting a towel on the bench next to me. "Why are you here?" She asks in surprise.

"I'm—" I stop as Ophelia is called to the ring. "I'm here to watch you."

She smiles before rushing to the ring.

I take a deep breath before they start their training session. I'm really not looking forward to it.

***

I sit in silence, mouth hanging open, eyes wide as I observe the training session. Ophelia is incredibly gifted for her age. She can handle swords and is amazing in hand-to-hand combat.

The training session ends, Ophelia gets scolded for getting hit a couple of times which to me seems ridiculous. She's amazing! She barely got hit.

I grab the towel from next to me and stroll over to her. She's resting in the corner, leaning against the ropes. I tap my fingers on her arm and se turns around, smiling as I hand her the towel. "You did great," I tell her with a smile and get in the ring myself. I sit down next to her as she wipes off some sweat from her forehead.

"That's not what they say," she mutters as she plays with her fingers, avoiding eye contact with me.

I sigh, scooting closer to sit right next to her. "Well, I think you were fantastic," I say while I nudge her shoulder with mine, earning a small giggle from her.

"Want me to show you some moves?" She asks excitedly as she stands up.

I turn to look at Whitehall who is in the same room again. I'm not sure if he's looking after me or Ophelia but that guy gives me the creeps nonetheless. He gives me a small nod and I turn to Ophelia, smiling. "Sure!"