02

James Buchanan Barnes, also known as Bucky Barnes.

That's one hell of a name, if you ask me. It has a nice ring to it.

I've been here with him for a few days. He's been somewhat quiet. It's a little awkward between the two of us. We're not friends, we've never even met before and now we're just both stuck in these cells. We're the only somewhat sane ones around here. The others next to our cells are either brainwashed and lifeless or gone. Perhaps both.

I don't blame him for being quiet. It's not like it's easy to strike up a conversation in a place like this. "So how did you get here?" Was a question that I got the answers to the very first night he was brought in here. He fell off a train. HYDRA had done experiments on him which lead him to somehow survive the fall.

Yes, HYDRA. The exact same shitbags that have captured us.

If I had the guts and if I didn't know what the consequences of disobeying and standing up for myself were, I'd probably do anything to get them to listen to me and even consider freeing me but they would never do that.

I turn my head to Bucky's cell, seeing him staring right ahead of him with a sad look on his face. I open my mouth to ask him what he is thinking but close it, not sure if I should talk.

I turn my head away and lie down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling as I see tiny rays of sunlight peeking through the small windows that are high up on the walls. The sun must be rising.

I hear the clatter of a cell door and I jump, catching Bucky's attention. He looks at me, alarmed.

I start hearing screams and I place my hands over my ears, not wanting to hear those horrible, gut-wrenching sounds. Too bad my hands only mostly muffle out the noise.

I squeeze my eyes closed and bury my face in my knees, trying to block out every kind of view or noise about what's happening outside.

The screams get louder and louder with every second that passes and I prevent the tears of fear from slipping down from my eyes.

I shake my head, refusing to let myself look up as I hear the screams coming from right in front of my cell. I shake my head more as if trying to drown out more of the sounds.

As I hear the screams stop, I turn to look at Bucky, seeing him stare at the hallway with wide eyes. I slowly lower my hands from my ears and carefully move closer to him. "Are you... Are you okay?" I ask and he turns his head towards me slowly.

"Yeah," he says quietly, very quietly.

"Bucky, it's okay if you're scared," I tell him, moving even closer. "You don't have to act strong for anyone."

Bucky ignores me and looks away. I sigh and lie back down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling.

I decide to stay quiet. I rest my eyes and just enjoy the quietness that is finally broken after a while.

"How often does that happen?" Bucky asks and I sit up, seeing him look at me.

"I can't say. Sometimes it doesn't happen for days, sometimes multiple times a day."

"How long have you been here?" He asks, surprised by my answer.

I shrug, "I have no idea," I mutter out. "There's no way I can keep track of the time. Feels like an eternity, though."

Bucky frowns, turning away once again. "Have you ever thought about escaping?" He suddenly asks, out of the blue.

"I'm not sure if we should talk about that out loud." I try to lighten up the mood with a chuckle.