08

It's been about a week and a half since I've last seen Bucky.

I don't know what happened to him. I've been hearing his screams every night but I'm not sure if it's actually him. It might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

The truth is that he might be gone. He might have dropped dead. That thought stings.

Though, I'm pretty sure it would be better than being stuck in this place.

I'm actually losing my mind, being all alone in this place. I've started talking to myself. I don't have full conversations with myself but I'm so lonely, it's odd being quiet all the time.

I see someone coming to my cell and I stand up, ready to be taken away. Everyday approximately at this time, I go to watch Ophelia train. I've heard there are other children as well but Whitehall thinks Ophelia is special.

"She could be the future leader of HYDRA," I've heard him say.

God, I hope that doesn't happen.

One of the guards escorts me to the training room and I take a seat at my usual spot, on a bench few feet away from the ring.

I see Ophelia coming towards me and I send her a smile. I give her a small wave and she starts running towards me. She sits down next to me and says, "Hi, Marie."

"Hey, Ophelia."

"Why are you so sad?" She asks and I let out a sigh. I've been trying to cover it up but apparently I haven't done a good job at that.

"I lost someone," I answer honestly.

Ophelia's face turns into a frown and she turns to look at the ring, she scratches her head, seeming to be thinking about something. I feel my brows furrowing as I try to figure out what's on her mind. She then turns to me with a smile on her face. "But you have me?"

I can't help but laugh. I reach out to her and move her hair away from her face. She always hides the scar on the right side of her face. I understand why but I still don't think she should. She's beautiful no matter what.

Ophelia reaches out to the back of her ear but I stop her from doing so. All she does is smile and look away.

I see a couple of men bringing in different types of weapons. Ophelia takes that as a cue to stand up and heads over to the men. She grabs a pocket knife and goes to stand a few feet away from a target. She takes a few seconds before she throws the knife and hits the target, bullseye.

She is amazing but that doesn't mean HYDRA thinks she is good enough. They keep wearing her out and it just makes me hate them even more.

***

Why am I here?

Why am I here?

Why do these bastards need someone with the power to heal when they could get people who can heal others without some stupid superpowers? There are doctors and I'm sure they could hire some... or force them to work for this organization.

I groan as I fall back on my bed, running my hands through my hair. I tug on the roots and let out a frustrated sigh.

I can actually feel myself going crazier with every minute that passes.

There's nothing to keep me sane anymore, now that he's gone.

I guess that's not entirely true. I do have Ophelia. I have to stay strong for her. She needs me and my family does too, not that they know that. If I don't obey, HYDRA will make my family pay. Ophelia and my family are the only things that keep me at least a tiny bit sane.

I just wish Bucky was here with me.

I know it's selfish to think like that but it's the truth. I want him here with me.

In the short span of couple of weeks we became very close. We became good friends and I have to admit I may have fallen for him a little bit.

How could I not? He's amazing!

He's good looking, that's for sure. Any girl would die to be looked at with those beautiful eyes and with that beautiful smile on his lips.

He's so much more than just a pretty face, though. He's a good man, a gentle soul.

God, I miss him.

I let a few tears slip from my eyes as I think about the day he was taken away. The look that he had in his eyes when he realized he was the one being taken away.

The look in his eyes when he looked at me for the last time.

I don't want to build my hopes up, if I ever do see him again but... I kind of felt like there was something that he wasn't telling me. The way he was looking at me is the way that everyone wants to be looked at by a person they have feelings for. I swear I felt that he returned the feelings I've had for a while. And now I'm left wondering whether I'm right or wrong.

And that thought haunts me.

I'm not absolutely insane for thinking he felt the same way, am I?

I swear I felt something.

The way he touched my cheek and kissed my forehead, letting his lips linger for a few seconds.

And the way he looked at my face, memorizing all the little details, eyes watering as he did.

"Oh, Lord." I groan as I place my hands over my face. "If I keep wondering about this, I'll go fully insane." And I sigh, "Great, I'm talking to myself again."

I sit up and look at Bucky's cell again. I place my hand on the very thin mattress of his old bed and frown as I feel something underneath.

I carefully lift up the mattress and see something shiny underneath, the moonlight from outside makes the object stand out.

I grab it, it's made of metal.

I stand up, hold the object in front of the window so I could see it a little better.

It's Bucky's dog tags.

BARNES
JAMES B
402-12-9363
A POSITIVE
CATHOLIC

BARNES
JAMES B
SERGEANT 32557038
CAMP LEHIGH YA
BROOKLYN, NY

I feel my eyes watering again as I observe the dog tags. I close my fist and hold my hand against my chest, letting the tears fall.

Did he leave them on purpose?

I grab the chain with both hands and bring the dog tags in front of me. I look at them for a while before I decide to put them around my neck. I make sure to hide them under the shirt I'm wearing.

I place my hand on my upper chest, feeling them underneath the shirt and I smile, my eyes still watering.

He had to leave them on purpose.

"I will never forget you," he said the night he was taken. "Never."

Maybe this is his way of showing that he never wants me to forget about him either.

Well, good news for you, James Buchanan Barnes... I couldn't even if I tried.

So... That happened.

What do you think about Ophelia so far?

What do you think about Bucky leaving his dog tags to Marie? Did he do it on purpose or accidentally?

ALSO, I tried to google dog tags and figure out what's carved in them (in the 1940s) but they all had different things written on them so if anyone knows more about them and what's carved in them, please tell me so I can fix it.