10

"Marie?"

I can't stop thinking about that night.

"Marie."

I can't believe I saw him after all those weeks.

"Marie."

He's a complete different person now.

"Marie!"

What have they done to him?

"MARIE!!"

I jump slightly as I turn to look at Ophelia, screaming my name right in front of my face. I shake my head, slightly embarrassed because I got lost in my thoughts. "I'm sorry," I apologize.

Ophelia narrows her eyes as she looks at me, probably trying to figure out what I'm thinking about.

"Don't worry about it," I decide to say before she gets the chance to ask me about it.

She just nods, not wanting to upset me. She's a sweet girl. She doesn't belong in a place like this. I'm just afraid they're going to ruin her kindness, her innocence. She has the skills to do bad things but she doesn't have the heart to do them. At least that's what I like to believe.

As she starts her training, I find my thoughts drifting back to Bucky. How could I not?

The way he looked... It was as if he had no emotions when I first walked in the room.

He was bleeding, a lot and he was clearly hurt but he didn't show it. He just sat there, staring at the floor in front of him.

But then when I reached out to him, he seemed afraid.

And when he finally let me get close to him, he still seemed a bit hesitant but he then relaxed and even softly grazed my arm and my neck. It almost felt like he was experiencing human contact for the first time in his life.

He also had no idea who I was. That hurt. Almost as much as seeing him in that state.

I look down and see myself clutching the dog tags through my shirt.

He saw them. He looked at them, observed them.

And when he looked at me while I was being dragged away, it looked like he started remembering something.

I'm probably wrong, though. I was very shocked, my own mind was most likely playing tricks on me.

Sigh.

***

I was called to the lab again. I was hoping I could see Bucky and maybe try to get some answers but sadly, he wasn't there.

That just means that he doesn't need any injuries to be tended so in a way, it's a good thing he wasn't there.

I just healed some people, soldiers, probably.

Same old...

The upside of all this, is that they've started to feed me better. They bring me breakfast, lunch, dinner and something to eat before I go to bed. They even brought me a pillow. I guess they realized that nutrition and sleeping well makes my powers more efficient since I actually have the energy to use them and it takes less time to get the job done.