11

I have something important to tell you guys at the end of this part, so please read that little a/n. Thank you.

I've never been more nervous or anxious than I am now.

I've been waiting for a while now. I've been sitting on the bed, fiddling my fingers as I've waited for him to arrive.

I don't blame him for not being here the minute the night settled. Who knows where he might be. Who knows what kind of 'mission' he's been given.

I just hope he is alright. He's all I've been able to think about since the day I saw him for the first time after he was taken away.

Actually, that's a lie. I haven't been able to not think about him since the day I first met him.

I kind of wish I had a clock here somewhere so I could see how much time has passed.

Then again, it might make me frustrated to see how long it's taking for him to show up.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

***

The jerk still hasn't showed.

I've waited for hours. Hours! Or at least for what's felt like hours.

I'm sure he has a good reason to be absent. It's not like meeting me is his priority. I'm sure he has some other things that keep him occupied.

I sigh in defeat as I fall back on the bed, thinking he won't show up at all. I feel stupid for thinking it would be so easy for him to show up. He's obviously under HYDRA's control now. I can be so naive at times. 

I shake my head at myself, huffing and closing my eyes, ready to let sleep take over me.

I hear someone walking down the hall and I open my eyes, peering down the hall. I hear the footsteps halt and I sit up, eyeing the dark corridor. I see something, light reflecting from metal.

I stand up and go over to the door of the cell, place my hands on the cold bars and learn forward, trying to get a closer look. "Bucky?" I call out very quietly.

No answer.

I clear my throat and try to hide the grimace on my face as I call out, "Winter Soldier?"

I then see someone starting to move and I can see the light reflecting again. The person walks closer and I see that it's him.

"Bucky," I whisper and let out a relieved laugh. "You came."

He doesn't say anything, he doesn't nod. He only glances down at his balled up fist, the flesh one. I turn to look at his hand and see the chain of the dog tags. "Have you... started remembering things?" I ask carefully.

He frowns, shaking his head slightly as he turns to look up at me. "Is—" He starts and holds up the dog tags in front of my face. "Is this me?" He asks with wide eyes.

I nod slowly. "Yes."

His frown deepens and he squeezes the chain in his hand.

"Bucky," I say lowly. "I understand that you are frustrated and mad even," I continue and take a pause to swallow the lump that's appeared in my throat. "I can't begin to imagine what—"

"They brainwashed me," He interrupts me. "T-they put me in this machine and they—"

"Calm down," I say as I reach out to him. He backs away at first and turns his gaze to my hand. He then relaxes and steps back towards me. "What do you remember?"

He stays quiet for a while, seeming to think through some stuff, wondering if he should say anything. "I remember you," he says and I feel all air leave my lungs.

"Y-you do?"

"Yes," he says shortly, seeming confused. "You're Marie."

"Yes!" I say with a relieved laugh. "Yes, that's me!"

"Why are you the only thing I remember?" He asked. "How do I remember you?"

"We were stuck in this place together for a long time. We became very close." It's not really a proper answer to his question. If I'm being honest, I don't know why I'm the only thing he remembers or how he remembers me in general. I've never thought of myself to be that unforgettable. 

Bucky nods along as I speak, still his eyes skim around the dark space. He's confused and I understand why. He's been brainwashed, his mind has been wiped clean from all memories.

Bucky opens his mouth to ask something else but then we hear a door being closed and soon we start hearing footsteps coming closer. Bucky shoves his hand through the bars and holds the dog tags in front of me. "Take them," he says firmly. He doesn't explain his command further but I won't push him. 

I nod and take the chain from him, placing it around my neck before I look back at him again. He looks at the dog tags hanging on my chest and he reaches out to them, grabbing one of the tags between the fingers of his metal arm. He then bolts away without saying anything.

I go back to my bed and lie down, pretending to be asleep as the guard walks by. I turn on my side, facing the wall and I take the dog tags in my hand, squeezing them in my fist.

I find myself smiling as I open my palm again to look at them.

He remembers me.

And then I frown.

He remembered me before he remembered himself.

This one is a lot shorter than the others. Sorry.

Okay, listen... I'm going to be putting this story on hold. 

I'm sorry if any of you were excited about this story (also sorry for taking so long since I updated, yikes....) 

I just don't have much inspiration for this story right now and I have so many other things to write. I really should have waited longer so I could have made a proper updating schedule for myself. I am sorry. 

Hopefully you're all fine with waiting! I promise I'll come back to this story. It might take time but I promise, I will. 

Thank you everyone who's read this story and voted and commented. Hopefully you'll still be here when I come back with this story. If not, that's okay, I understand. 

Thank you again, so much!

Love, Jules.