Warm Hands, Cold Faces

"Did the boy drive you home?" Aunt Tracy asked excitedly as I walked into the apartment.

"Yes," I said with a pained chuckle, "And his name isn't the boy, it's Kai." rolling my eyes I slowly crept towards the couch so I could sit down and rest without being suspicious.

"Oooh, Is he Asian?" She said excitedly as she plunked herself on the couch net to me, eager to hear the details from the fabricated date.

"No, and that's racist," I laughed, "I think he's a little Spanish, He's got really soft brown hair and olive skin..." I caught myself getting off topic, "Just because you heard the name in an anime doesn't mean it's Asian, Aunt Tracy." I couldn't control my giggles and I clutched my sore abdomen, the bruised underneath burning at the touch.

"Oh, okay." She rolled her eyes back at me playfully. We talked for a few more minutes until I told her that I needed to go finish my homework. Instead of working though, I lay on my bed feeling my sore body succumb to the pillowy-soft bed.

In the morning I got up, my bones creaking, protesting at any movement and slowly crawled into the bathroom. The sight of my chest almost made bile raise from my throat; I was a pummeled apple, bruises laid out on my tender, translucent skin like a tourist road-map, marked at every inch.

"Disgusting." I murmured to myself as I turned away painfully and stepped into the heat of the shower. After I was out and the soothing warmth of the shower wore off, I dressed myself slowly in my usual skinny jeans, a Billy Talent sweater that was miles too big, and styled my long hair across my forehead like a giant puff ball. I gathered up Kai's clothes that he let me borrow, which luckily Aunt Tracy hadn't noticed, and shoved it in my backpack to give to him at lunch. I walked out to the living room to see Aunt Tracy making me coffee.

"Hey you, how was your sleep?" She asked lovingly as she passed me a coffee mug filled with the sweet substance.

"Good, I think I slept a little weird last night, my back hurts." I tried to give a reason as to why I was walking so slowly... well, slower than usual.

"That's why you took so long, I was just going to call and see if you were all right in there." Bingo, I though to myself as I sipped my drink. "So are you going to hang out with... Kai?" She said with a playful smirk on her face.

"Well... we eat lunch every day together, so yes."I said taking another swig and avoiding eye contact.

"I see, I see." the large smirk only growing on her motherly face. "When am I going to meet this boy?"

"Never." I said in mock rebellion. I stood up and walked over to the counter, putting the mug in the sink and cleaning my breakfast plates. "We aren't technically dating," I told her, "But I can always ask if he wants to come over to hangout... but only if you promise not to scare him away." I said with a smile on my face.

"Oh! I promise, I'm so excited!" Aunt Tracy said happily as she got up to get ready for work.

"Well I'm going to leave for school," I said as I walked over to her and kissed her on the cheek, "Love you." She smiled at me as only a mother would, and we parted ways.

As I walked to school all I could think about was Kai. His hair, his eyes, his smile, the way he so effortlessly selfless, how he didn't care about what people said or though, how he was so strong and brave and smart... and how he had a girlfriend. That was the biggest dilemma, worrying about if he was even into guys wasn't my priority, I'm told I can be very persuasive when I want to be, It was the girlfriend I was worried about. Her name was Ellie, and she was beautiful, popular, and everything someone in Kai's social group would want to date. How long were they together for? How close were they? How could I talk about it with him without being obvious?