Hole-In-The-Wall

We walked out to Kai's beige car and he drove us to this little Mexican restaurant about five minutes from the school. It was a hole-in-the-wall with cheap food and was a little dirty, but man did it smell good.

"Ugh, god  it smells like heaven!" I moaned as we walked up to a table and sat down. Kai let out a little snicker and passed me the menu which consisted of about five different plates. All of them were burritos and quesadillas, and sounded amazing! I excitedly picked a burrito, Kai decided on one too and when the waitress came over to take our orders I ordered for both of us. I winked over at Kai who just rolled his eyes.

"What?" I said at the uncalled for eye-roll.

"Oh nothing," He sighed playfully, crinkles in his eyes from his smile. The family style restaurant felt so warm, the orange, red and yellow decor made it look like the sun was shining just a little extra over us. It made me feel relaxed and a little lazy, like a late summers afternoon.  I looked across the small table at Kai who couldn't contain the brimming smile on his face as he stared at me.

"What are you thinking?" I asked with a wondrous voice as the waitress came do give us water.

"I'm thinking that our first real date should have been a little more... I don't know, fancy?"

"No, I think this is perfect." I said genuinely. I reached my hand across the table and we linked fingers, looking into his brown eyes I saw the soft gaze that was always on his face whenever he looked at me. A small sigh escaped my lips and Kai raised an eyebrow.

"yeah?" he asked with a chuckle.

"Oh yeah." I said slowly in a drawl. When our food arrived we let go of each others hands, and when the waitress saw she didn't even acknowledge it, almost like it was normal to see two boys holding hands at a restaurant table. We catted over our food and very soon it was time to go. Kai offered to pay the bill but after quite a lot of persuasion, I got to pay for both of us. Feeling pretty good about the date, we walked close together, our arms swaying so close to each other that we were almost holding hands... but not quite. The drive back to school was comfortable and quiet as we basked in the warmth of the summer heat and of the other's presence. 

We slowly walked back into the school together and into the throngs of oblivious teenagers. The noise was a lulling background to the thumping in my chest, Kai had slung one of his arms around my shoulders. I know a lot of guys do this, and its normal, but nobody had ever done it to me and this was Kai, whose every touch sent excited shivers up my back. We navigated the crowds until we were stopped in the middle of the hall, Kai still had his arm protectively around me as we stared at the girl in front of our way.

"Hey!" Abby the cheerleader chirped. Her baby pink mini-skirt bobbing up and down, revealing too much thigh. And she was wearing a white and grey polka dotted tank top that showed a little too much cleavage. Her face was bright and cheerful, and her long blond hair was put into two pig tails that were expertly curled. 

"What's up Abby?" Kai said happily to the girl, flashing her a smile.

"Oh not much! Just finished practice with the girls." She giggled annoyingly and continued, "So I talked to Jasper about the Grad-party. Did he tell you about it? You guys going?" She looked at us expectantly, tilting her head like a puppy.

"You did, did you?" Kai said with a chuckle as he turned to look at me awkwardly staring at the ground. "Well, I'm sure we'll end up going since the last party was such a hit." He said with a knowing smirk. God, this guy wouldn't give my drunk experience a rest. He always brought it up when he needed something to poke fun at me with... not that I minded really. Our whole relationship practically formed because of it. 

"No." I said flatly, causing a confused expression to form on Abby's primped face and a loud laugh from Kai.

"No?" He said dripping with sarcasm, "Why the hell not? You rocked that party, even stood up on the beer pong table and danced a little." He couldn't stop himself from cracking up. I could feel the rumbles of his laughs off of his body, his arm still over my shoulders. Abby looked a little confused but put on another award-winning smile.

"Well, I hope to see you both there!" She chirped, "Kai just send me a text and I'll let you know the details." She winked before parting in the halls.

"She's... a lot to handle." I noted to Kai, he just smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, I grew up with her. She's always been like that, but it's gotten more intense with the whole cheer leading thing."

"Yikes..." I cringed, and felt Kai chuckle from beside me.

"Yeah, so you want to go to the party with me?"

"Do I have to?" I said with a fake whine, of course I would go to the party with Kai, I'd go anywhere with him.

"No, you don't have to..." He said with big, brown, puppy eyes.

"Fine." I groaned, rolling my eyes at his tactics. 

He lead us down the halls to my class and pulled his arm off my shoulder. The empty feeling I got unsettled me and immediately missed his touch. 

"How's the arm?" 

"Horrible without yours attached to it." I said with a wink knowing that I was getting the cast off in a few days, and walked into my class as I heard the beautiful sound of Kai's laugh behind me.