C5: Donuts and Coffees

Chapter Five || Donuts and Coffees

It was a lot better when you have your own coffee to make, albeit instant. Kendall stared at the cabin nearest to the beach; apparently, the inn, besides from the in-house room for rents has three more smaller cabins for renting but was never used when her mother took over the business.

She sat at the kitchen counter and stared past the huge window overseeing the three cabins --- distanced from each other not too far and not too close, just enough to find solace but still feel connected from society. How in the holy name of God, did her mother manage to make this place unpopular enough that it was knee-deep into unpaid bills and was into the verge of being impounded by the local bank?

She sighed; guess there’d be no chance to question her mother.

Shortly, her mind drifted to last night where she admittedly had a blast. After her emotional breakdown, which by the way was a total bummer, Gavin and Kendall ate Suzy’s special (smoked lobster with a divine sauce --- she should really start learning from Suzy, the girl have hands from God!).

They laughed at some inane jokes Gavin conferred under the influence of their three bottles of Coors. It was already at the ‘make-a-fool-of-yourself’ level of alcohol intake for Kendall but has been far from it for Gavin so still, she had a blast. After which they came back to the seaside, sat and watched the busy carnival under the moon.

If she wasn’t so inebriated, she would have thought it was very romantic. Henry brought her once to Macau and they watched the moon back then too, but that night with Gavin, it felt different.

She frowned at her mug of coffee.

“You’re so weird, stupid woman. You don’t love Henry anymore, at least not like before, so what’s stopping you from jumping Gavin’s bones? Well aside from the fact that you have sworn off men? But c’mon, we both know that’s bullshit!” She groaned and squeezed her eyes shut, inhaling deeply so the scent of the coffee filled her lungs.

The wind blew, brushing the leaves of the trees scattered between the cabins. She will be loved by Maroon 5 sounded softly from her living room/reception from where she plugged her iPod.

“I know, Gavin, everything about him shouted trouble and that’s what I need like a bullet in my head --- trouble.” She finished her coffee and strutted her way back to her room to get ready for the day.

***

Kendall stood outside the Police Department, her heart pounding not quite subtly underneath her clothes. She wondered if the people inside would think of her as some hung up bitch that would try to cling onto Gavin’s arms once she asked for him.

Well, he’s good looking, quite popular as per Suzy’s enthusiastic report awhile ago when she called, witty and smart. Many women must have already done this, showing up unannounced where he work and demanding to see him, but at least she wouldn’t be going on about the shared night, intimacy and stuff she seldom watched from television afternoon dramas.

One uniformed guy went out of the tinted glass doors and swiftly saw her standing like a wuss outside their workplace. He’s good looking, a few notches below Gavin’s handsomeness. He could easily be a heartbreaker, a panty snatcher, a criminal of hearts --- Kendall privately thought as she waved awkwardly to the handsome gentleman.

“Hey Miz Avery,” the guy smiled charmingly and she was right, he was a panty snatcher. And the accent, she wouldn’t start fussing about the damn sexy accent.

“Well, hello, officer, good day!” She said keenly, smiling a little wider than her normal polite smile. His hazel eyes twinkled in amusement and Kendall mentally berated herself for sounding like a fool in front of all the handsome guys --- seriously.