C7: Tree Lighting

Chapter Seven || Tree Lighting

The kiss was enough to melt all her defences and stupid thoughts. Kendall broke it off but made no move to break the trance she was in as she stared at his dark brown eyes. Under the sombre glow of the fairy lights surrounding them, that moment was almost magical and for once she felt special.

By the way how Gavin looked at her as if she was the only living thing breathing on that place made her heart set off to an overdrive and she almost felt light headed. A small smile tugged her lips up and his eyes fell on her lips to watch her smile.

“I think tonight I can be sweet.” She murmured and he smirked.

“Would love to see you try, doll,” that remark was just so like him that it made her smile more. Henry must have broken her heart and messed her up but she wasn’t in the point where she couldn’t be saved.

She came to Appleshore and met Gavin, the man who infuriated her but unexpectedly comforted her at all times. He traced her smiled with the pad of his thumb and she found it so sweet, so freaking sweet, that small act of gentleness was enough to make her heart soar.

She looked around the town centre and Gavin watched as her eyes shone, reflecting the tiny fairy lights that provided the whole town an eerie glow as if in a fairytale setting. “It’s so beautiful. I am used to seeing too many lights, having to grow up in New York and all that, but it’s different here. The ambience... everything, it’s so amazing.” Kendall said, turning away so she could look more of her surroundings.

Gavin didn’t have to glance up to see what she was talking about, since he was small he had witnessed this tree lighting but it wasn’t lost to him how beautiful it was exactly so he understood her. Not minutes ago, she was adamant in making him stay away but he saw it, that moment when she opened her eyes and let out a small sigh of resignation, he saw that she was giving this thing between the two of them a chance and he was all about ready to grab on every opportunity to sail this boat with her.

Somehow, he knew Kendall would be worth it.

He knew there’s something more as to why she came here, a girl like her would not resign on living in a small town like this and he knew something deeper must have caused that shadow in her eyes, clouding its vibrancy but he was set on lifting it up.

Kendall, a wonderful girl like her deserved more and he’d make sure he’d be enough to offer the best for her.

“I heard there’d be dancing and all that stuff, wanna be sweet together tonight, officer?” She asked, looking at her with that enticing eyes and he smiled.

“Officer never sounded sexy to me until now.” He remarked making her chuckle as they walked side by side.

“Must be my extraordinary sexy voice then,” she quipped. “Look, are those corndogs? I love corndogs!” She started towards the stall manned by Lottie and he followed. A discussion started about feminism when he offered to pay and as much as it amused him, he didn’t allow her to pay and vice versa so it kind of annoyed him --- though in a good way.

There was no shaking this girl.

The ending was they paid for their own corndogs, argument solved.

“Can’t you just let me be the man?” He said, disgruntled as he took his bite on his corndog and she eyed him defiantly.

“Buying a woman corndogs doesn’t make you a man, Gavin.”

“Not just corndogs, Kendall,” he sighed as they managed to manoeuvre through the thickening crowd of exuberant people.