C15: Light

Chapter Fifteen || Light

"You just thought to tell me this now?" Kendall seethed as her brain worked a mile per second. Kendall learned that it has always been a sort of tradition that during the 24th of December, Katty Avery invited the townspeople to Sweet Pleasures Inn.

It was the 23rd.

"It's nothing really grand, child." Jamich said in a placating tone, closing her eyes because she was tired of watching Kendall pace around her office. The woman tended to make every single thing a big deal, Jamich thought wryly.

"It's a tradition, Jamich!" Kendall argued, flailing her hands away. "It's a big event!"

"Katty didn't make it like that. The people were invited at the inn's backyard to party, they bring their own food and they make up their own entertainment." Jamich explained, taking a drag from her ever present cigarette stick.

The old woman blew the smoke.

"And the inn? How does the inn look like?" Kendall stopped pacing to focus all her attention to the old woman.

"As it is, child. I kept on telling you this isn't a big deal. Besides, the people's not sure if you're gonna continue that thing since Katty's dead." Jamich said, flicking the butt of her cigarette to the ashtray and lit a new one.

"Open the windows, darling," Kendall murmured as she sat back down to her swivel chair and laced her fingers together.

Shrugging, Jamich opened the windows and sat back to the plush seat in front of Kendall.

"We're going to continue that, all right. We'll just have to work real fast to transform the inn to something appropriate for a christmas party." Kendall said, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

She took a memo pad from the drawer as she made a few short calls. An hour later, Suzy came in her office then Haley followed.

"Seriously, what's this? A girl brigade?" Suzy asked, her lips quirking from humor. She made them tea and passed it around except Haley who requested a soda.

Haley snorted, "And we're like with different ages. Sorry, gran," she said grinning sheepishly.

Kendall rolled her eyes, "Okay so here's the thing, I just learned about the yearly party held in the inn, thanks to Jamich here," she shot Jamich a pointed look which made Suzy and Haley snicker from where they sat.

"Petty, child," Jamich muttered, shaking her head.

"So I don't have enough time to prepare."

"That's awesome, Kendall, you're gonna still have that annual party? Cool!" Haley said excitedly making them all smile.

"Yes, honey, but that's where the problem goes in. It's tomorrow night and look at the inn, it's not prepared." Kendall said,

"But Katty never really did anything as a preparation," Suzy trailed.

Jamich flicked another cigarette butt, "That's what I've been telling her! But did she listen? No, that's why you two are here."

Kendall shook her head again, "It was from my mom's time. I am the new owner and I want my first Christmas here to be really memorable. And I want to make this inn beautiful, besides it will attract customers. It's like hitting two birds with one stone!"

The three women nodded their understanding.

"Alright child, have it your way." Jamich finally conceded.

Kendall smiled softly, "Thanks, Jamich."

"So what are we gonna do?" Suzy asked and Kendall gave her the sheet of paper where she listed all the things they needed and had to do.