Part 3

Arnav tried hard to concentrate on his laptop screen but his eyes kept wandering to her. She was lying on the bed, holding Abeer close to her, looking so pale. He want to take her to the Doctor, but he knows she won't listen to him. He will just end up upsetting her more, which he really don't want to do.

Khushi looked at him from the corner of her eyes. He was restless, wanting to tell her something. And she knows what. If there's anything predictable about her husband, then that is his over-protective nature. A single sneeze from her and she can literally feel his heart leap to his mouth. His facet scares her sometimes. He never allows her to go out alone, fearing something will happen to her. He never let her go to Buaji's house alone, fearing she will never return. He presses for a monthly checkup, scared that something would have happened to her. She has done all, still doing, everything to sooth away his fear. But his fear is deep rooted, too thick , too hard to thaw. She loves him, and there's nothing she won't fight to be with him. And he knows that very well. Then why doesn't he just let go of his fear? It disturbs her to see him like this. She wants him to live a normal life, a life without fearing for anything, a life filled with only love. She has promised him endless time- only death can do them apart. But seems like, that too is not good enough for him.

Khushi closed her eyes as she saw him stand up.

Arnav looked at Khushi. He knew she wasn't sleeping. Walking towards the bed, he sat beside her.

"Khushi, I am going to office.." he said, making her open her eyes.

"hmm" she nodded her head.

"Take care ... and ...and if you are not feeling well then ..."

"I am fine ...nothing to worry ... "

Arnav stared at her for few seconds before nodding his head. Bending down, he pecked her lips. "Bye.."

Kushi felt back of her eyes burn with tears. She wants nothing more than to sooth away his fears. But what can she do when he fears for naught?

Arnav looked at the sleeping Abeer. Hesitantly, he bent and kissed his hair.

"Bye ..take care.." Khushi said as he stood up, ready to leave.

As soon as he left the room, the held back tears spilled out and drenched her cheeks. She buried her face in the pillow. Hey Devi maiya! Why is she feeling so emotional these days? No soon she asked herself that, she felt her stomach churn, a wave of nausea hit her hard. She jerked up and dashed towards the bathroom.

She held the either side of the basin as she retched.

She lifted her head to look at herself in the mirror. She was looking so pale. Is she really not well? Washing her mouth and face, she exited the bathroom and slumped against the mattress. Whatever it is, she was just glad Arnav ji wasn't around to see her retching like anything. He might have got a mini heart attack, and in turn, would have declared her invalid and tied her to the bed. She turned to look at the sleeping Ebu, a small smile spread on her lips. Her Ebu is such a good baby. She inched close to him and kissed his forehead. Having Ebu as her son was one of the best things happened to her. Her baby! Baby? Something bubbled inside her stomach. Was ...was she pregnant?

Khushi sat straight with a jerk. Hey Devi Maiya! Is she really pregnant? "Hey Devi Maiya! I need to find out!"

"Amma, why are you shouting?"

Khushi turned to look at Ebu. "Ebu, you are up. Get up, you sleepyhead, we are going out!"

Ebu rubbed his lazy eyes. "Out? Where?"

"Oh nothing special.." she picked him up and walked inside the bathroom.

"Amma are you fine?" Ebu asked as he stood against the bathroom door.

Khushi heard Ebu, but she was in no condition to reply, her throat felt chocked. She just stared at the strip in her hand. She was pregnant. Hey Devi Maiya. She is really pregnant. She felt like her heart would burst out any second. She wants to share this happiness with Arnav ji, he will be so happy.

"Amma!"

Khushi got up and wiped her tears. "Yes baby, I am coming.." she just can't wait to share this with her husband.

Khushi patted Ebu, and saw Arnav ji as he worked on his laptop. Dinner was over, and they were in their room. And the excitement was killing her. She just want to go to him and give him the good news. But no, she don't want to hurry it. She want to savor each and every moment, she don't want to miss anything, wanting to imprint his every word, his every expression when she gives him the news.

"Is he asleep? I will take him to his room..." Arnav said, his eyes not leaving his laptop.

His voice broke her reverie. "Uhhg? ..Oh ..no ..I will take him .."Khushi said and picked the sleeping Ebu in her arms.

Khushi entered their room after tucking Ebu in his bed. She walked past him and entered the bathroom. She looked at the strip and picked it, the silly smile not leaving her lips.

Khushi looked at him, excited, too happy. Getting on her knees, she shifted close to his leg. "I want to show you, something, Arnav ji.." She said, her happiness knew no bound. She is going to give him the happiest news of his life.

"What?" Arnav asked.

"This.." Khushi extended her hand, two spot of blush marking her face.

Arnav stared at the stick in her hand, confused "What is it?"

"I...This ...this is pregnancy stick ...I am pregnant, Arnav ji .." Khushi said shyly, not lifting her eyes to look at him.

As some minutes passed without any word from him, Khushi lifted her eyes to look at him. His face looked colorless, ghost like. Khushi's brow frowned in confusion. "Arnav ji?"

"How...how's this poss...possible? ...I ..I have always ...always used protection ..." Arnav shuttered, his worst fear staring straight at him.

Khushi just stared at him, blank.

"You ..you are not happy? You are supposed to be happy, Arnav ji .. We... we are going to have a baby.." She stammered. His pale face scaring her to the bones.

Arnav didn't know what to say. How was this possible? He had always used protection. Then how? He looked at her confused face. She is pregnant? He felt nauseated. This can't be happening. After all that he had went through, this can't be happening to him. There has to be some mistake.

"Khushi, I ..think we should go and see the Doctor ...I..I think there's some mistake.." he managed to say.

Khushi just stared at him, not knowing what was wrong. It scared her.

"But ...but why aren't you happy?..Why ...why are you behaving so weird?..Don't you want a baby?"

Arnav averted his eyes from her. "We will talk once the Doctor does his checkup...I think it's some mistake" he stood up, leaving her kneeling near the recliner.

Khushi stared at the space in front of her. Mistake? She looked down at the strip in her hand. What mistake? What protection? Why isn't he happy? Her hold tightened around the stick. She was so happy. She thought he will be happy, too. She thought this will be the best gift she will ever give him. But he ..he wants it to be a mistake? Mistake?! She felt her eyes sting with hot angry tears. Anger caught hold of her. Why he wants it to be a mistake? He has to answer her.

Wiping her tears, she stood up and walked towards the poolside.

"Khushi, just go away. I am in no mood to talk to you ." Arnav said as he sensed her behind him.

"No. I won't go away. I want answers. Why do you want it to be a mistake? Answer me. Aren't you happy? I ...I thought you will be happy ... We will have a bab..."

"Don't!" he turned to look at her. "Don't say that. We are not going to have a baby. Never!" He barked, the anger and fear conquering his senses.

Khushi just stared at him, stunned by his outburst. "Wh..at? ... Never? What do you mean by never, Arnav ji?" She stammered, feeling the world revolve around her, she felt dizzy with fear.

"Never means never ...Kabhi bhi nahi, Khushi!"

Don't forget to vote!