Part 13

"Daddy, you had promised me to take me to your office..." Abeer said as he climbed on his Father's lap, who was sitting on the recliner, his laptop in front of him.

"Hmmm.." Arnav replied without taking his eyes off laptop.

Abeer pouted. "Daddy.." Still getting no reply from his Father, Abeer caught his Father's chin between his little fingers and forced him to look at him.

Arnav looked down at his Son. His eyes darting to his Son's wobbling chin. He sighed. Abeer is so much like Khushi. When something doesn't goes according to his liking, he sought to his drama - just like his Mother. A small smile found its way to his lips as his mind drifted to Khushi. She is everything a man could want- compassionate, loving, giving, generous, kind, forgiving, brave, cute, dramatic.... Arnav chuckled.. and also sexy.

No matter what is thrown at her, she takes everything in her stride. He wish he can learn that from her. Their every problem would be solved if he was 10% as brave as his Khushi. She not only takes care of her, but also cares for him and her Ebu. She not only fights her own battle but also his. He knows he has hurt her beyond comprehension when he had asked her to abort the baby. She was so happy, and he had not only broken her heart by not mirroring the same emotion, but also trampled all over her happiness by asking her to get rid of the baby. And still she forgave him and agreed to come with him. And now doing everything in her power to fight his fear for him. Sometimes she amazes him. She is so tiny, so fragile, and still carries the burden of a broken man, and a child who isn't hers. Makes it look so natural. But he knows it isn't.

When someone reminds her that Ebu isn't her son, she plasters a smile on her face, but he knows how much it hurts her. After loving Ebu like her own, when still people consider her his step-mom, it hurts her. When she talks, all excited, and shares the progress of her pregnancy with him, and he is unable to reflect the same enthusiasm, he can see the pain in her eyes. And still he is unable to do anything.

After giving so much, she asks for nothing, and still ends up getting hurt. And he plays a big part in hurting her.

"Daddyyy ..." Abeer called, wrenching his Father away from his painful thoughts.

Arnav took a shaky breath and paid attention to his Son.

"Yes, Abeer...What were you saying?" Arnav asked with a smile. No matter what, this bundle of endless energy always makes their life better. It disgust and shames him to think he had ever held himself from loving him, had blamed him for his sister's death.

"I want to see your office..." Abeer said, the pout looking so much like his mother's.

Before Arnav can reply his Son, he saw Khushi emerge from the bathroom. Her hair wet, a towel in her hand, drying her hair. She was clad in simple pink salwar kameez, clinging to her body. She was four months pregnant, and he can see the small swell. His chest tightened, making it difficult for him to draw breath. The same panic rose, threatening to consume him, but this time he fought. Khushi is fine! She is healthy! She is safe! Nothing is going to happen to her! - He chanted. Just like his psychiatrist had advised him. He fought to make his breathing normal. In Out. In Out. In Out..He will fight....Feeling something warm on his cheek, he looked down at his Son. He forced his lips into a smile.