Part 11

"Baby steps..."

"Hmmm..." Ebu's head dangled of his mother's shoulder as he lay on her back and looked over her shoulder at the pictures she was looking at. 

"Every process takes time, Ebu.." she said.

"Uhh-huuhh" Ebu agreed with his mother's wisdom.

"You see the picture? The baby is the size of a lemon .. but you can see her fingers, toes ...see her lips?" Khushi giggled. But soon her eyes filled with tender love for the little life growing inside her. "She is so small, Ebu ... she needs all the love, care, and protection... You love her, don't you Ebu?"

"Yes Amma...I love her .... She is my little sister.."

Khushi smiled. "We don't know yet if it's a girl or a boy.." though she likes to refer to it as 'her' and Ebu has picked on that.

"Amma, she can play with my toys .... I will give her my toys..."

"Why, thank you, Ebu .... You are going to be a very good brother.. "

Ebu brimmed with pride. Circling his tiny arms around his Amma's neck and buried his face in her neck, making her giggle.

That's how Arnav found Khushi and her Ebu. A small smile paved its way on his lips as he looked at his giggling family. They have always been this way – Inseparable, thick as thieves. He just has to glare at one for other to come charging at him. Arnav chuckled. Khushi had formed this special bond with his nephew as soon as he was placed in her arms. She has looked at him as her own Son , her own Son which his marriage to her has given her. And Ebu has known no other mother but Khushi.

They were a team.

And it had bothered him in the beginning. Fearing this team won't have a place for him, will not need him. But his sweet wife has taken care of that fear. No matter what these both were doing or planning, Khushi has always made him a part of it, letting him know that they are a family/team of three, not two. Just how she loves Ebu and has a special place for him in her big heart, he too resides in her heart and is bestowed with the same love.

In the past three years, many a time his past had veiled his heart with insecurities and fears, but Khushi had always been there as his savior, always pulling him out of his misery. No matter how much he had allowed his past to tangle his feelings and stop falling in love with his lovely wife, he had fallen, irrevocably and completely in love with his wife.

And with love came the fear of losing her. That's one fear still instilled in him, the fear his wife is unable to chase away. That fear is deep rooted, and he doubts it will ever go away. But he had promised her to work on that. But how? He is unable to get an answer to that question. What can he do to assure his heart that Khushi isn't going anywhere? What should he do to soothe his heart into believing Khushi is fine, healthy, happy. Nothing like his sister was when she was carrying Abeer. Nothing is helping him!