I Can't Forgive Or Forget

Woo hoo...I finished another chapter...eventually the story is going to come to an end.  There are still a few more chapters I just hope everyone is enjoying it.  Thanks for the votes and would still love to hear more comments.

Chapter 38

 I rolled over to turn off the alarm on my phone that was playing Tom Ford by Jay-Z.  I turned back over and closed my eyes for a few more minutes.  I decided I would go into work late.  I reset the alarm for another 2 hrs.

I would go in at 10:00; I don’t have any work that needs my attention because I cleared everything up before what was supposed to be my engagement party what went very wrong.

“Dr. Taricone, have you seen Nikki this morning?” 

“No Melanie I haven’t seen her yet this morning.  I have you checked her office?”

“Yeah but her door was closed and locked, but I knocked anyway just in case she was there trying not to be disturbed.”

"I’ll check her office again later.  She’s probably in a meeting or something.”

“Ok, if I see her I will tell her you are looking for her.”

“Thank you Dr. Taricone.” “No problem.”

Standing over by the edge of the desk Dr. Taricone sat there wondering how Nikki was doing.  He hasn’t talked to her since that awful night her so called fiancé decided not to show up for his own engagement party.

I was enraged when I looked at Nikki.  She looked so defeated, and when I found her sitting outside on her swing I could tell she was crying. I sat down next to her I didn’t want to pressure into talking; instead I just sat next to her and started rocking the swing back and forth.  She laid her head on my chest and cried herself to sleep.

I wanted to see her to see for myself that she was ok.  I knew he was no good, but if he made her happy, then I was happy for her, I always thought that she was too good for him.  He seemed like such a self-centered man even though I have only talked to him a handful of times, but I just knew he wasn’t for her.

I don’t know what to do, I want to be there with her and for her, but I don’t want to be insensitive knowing what she has just been through. I would love to have her as my wife but I know it’s going to be a while before she is ready to talk marriage with anyone else. will just wait for her however long it takes, I’ll be waiting.

I made it into work right at 10:00.  I unlocked the door to my office and walked in.  I sat my purse down and unlocked the door drawer to put my purse in.

I pulled my chair out and sat down; I found a letter sitting on my desk.  It had my name on it, but I was afraid to open it wasn’t sure who it was from.

I finally picked up the envelope and opened it taking a deep breath I pulled paper out opened it and began to read it.

Dear Nikki,  

I thought the only way to try and explain myself to you is to write you this letter.  I know that I have deceived you and taken your trust away, but since you left, I haven’t thought about anything else, but you. I know right now you can’t forgive me, but I hope in time we can work things out.  I know I should have never started seeing Payton, first because she was my assistant, but since have replaced her.  You don’t know how many times I have picked up the phone to call you.  I took a leave of absence from the firm because I just couldn’t think about anything else, but you and how I messed up and hurt the one true person that was always there for me no matter what. I know it’s too late for an apology, but Nikki I love you with all my heart and if you would let me I will spend the rest of my life trying to prove it to you.  I need to see you Nikki, I haven’t seen you since you left and I am going crazy.  If you can find it in your heart to meet me for dinner tomorrow night I really really need to see you.