eight

Father tell me, do we get what we deserve
Oh we get what we deserve

I hummed silently to the song as I was wiping down the counter. It was a pretty mellow day at work. Although, I was always doing something to keep me occupied. If it wasn't ringing up customers, and prepping their orders, I would be wiping down the counter, the tables, and restocking the sugar and all that fun stuff.

And way down we go
way down we go

Nan was currently in the back just finishing up a few pastries and getting things ready for tomorrow morning. She was really excited when I showed up which had me confused because I was pretty sure that I told her I would be coming in.

Then I realized it was because she was trying to play matchmaker.

Alex was the new barista that Nan had hired for the holidays. He was also the one who's been covering my shifts since my incident.

"Hey Grace. It's nine. Should I put the close sign on the door?" A sudden voice interrupted my thoughts. Alex. I turned around to face him as his striking green grey eyes made me shy all of a sudden. I'll admit though, Nan has really good taste in guys.

Oh boy.

"N-No." Smooth. Real smooth. I cleared my throat as I let out a slight awkward laugh. "I mean, wait till the last person here leaves. Uhm, Nan likes to leave the store open in case some late night people come in. So, you can put the sign up after."

"Oh. Cool." He smiled as he nodded once at me. I flashed a small smile at him as his eyes flashed downwards a bit confused. "You really like keeping the counter clean, don't you?"

"What?" I blinked a few times as he pointed at my hand that was still wiping down the counter. "Oh!" I stopped instantly as my cheeks heat up slightly. "Well, what can I say. I love this counter." I laughed awkwardly. 'Idiot.' I mentally slapped myself.

I jumped slightly from his booming laughter. His eyes slightly getting smaller as laugh lines appeared from the corner of his eyes. Where the fuck did Nan find this guy? He looks like he should be working at Ambercombie & Fitch.

His dark hair was styled slightly in a quiff. His eyelashes long and dark, making his bright eyes stand out more against his fair complexion. He was pretty athletic, from the short time we talked during break, I think he mentioned he did track or cross country.

"You're funny, Grace. I like that." He smiled as he went behind the counter. "I'm just going to finish washing the rest of these plates and cups here." I nodded at him as I pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear. Could I be any more stupid?

I let out a sigh as I walked away from the counter and began to walk towards the supply closet. I smiled at the few customers who were still in here. Reaching the supply closet, I looked around for the mop. Might as well start cleaning the place up.

'Well what else have I been doing today.'

I felt pathetic. I knew I was doing everything I can to not think about calling April, and telling her that I'd wait by the little frozen yogurt place that didn't close till midnight and have her pick me up there. Although, April was arguing with me and saying I shouldn't force myself to start walking alone. I shouldn't rush the process of 'healing'.

Healing.

Letting out an agitated groan, I couldn't tell if it was for the fact that I just wanted to break down crying and hide from everything. Or because the stupid mop was nowhere to be found. Shutting the closet door, a little bit too hard, I turned around to have a few eyes on me.