nine

It was as if time slowed down to the point where it felt like it was just me and the guy across the street we're the only ones able to move.

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. It felt like my feet were krazy glued to the floor.

He tilted his head slightly, staring right at me through his bright yellow shades. I gulped.

This is it. This is my chance. I can finally have peace knowing WHO saved me. I didn't wanna say what because at this moment, it didn't matter to me. Taking one step forward ready to cross the street, he turned around quickly and started to walk down the block. My eyes widen as I realized that I was going to lose my chance of talking to him. I looked at the street lights and realized it was still red so I couldn't even cross the street.

'Fuck it.'

I live in New York, don't I? I took a deep breath and started to run across the street. I felt my heart pound in my chest as a few cars honked at me.

"Get off the road!"

"HEY LADY!"

Ignoring the profanities being yelled at me, I rushed passed the gawking people on the sidewalk as I made it to the other side of the street. Trying to catch up to the mysterious guy dressed in the trench coat, I realized I was headed towards the direction of my apartment.

My brows furrowed as I noticed the guy turning his head and once I caught his bright yellow gaze on me, he sped up. I started to break out into a light jog.

I felt a shiver run down my spine as I felt a sudden breeze of cold air. Or maybe it was due to the fact that I was close to catching up to the guy. Feeling a few strands of my hair get in the way, I moved them off to the side as I momentarily looked down. My mouth dropped open as I realize he had tape wrapped around what appears to be make shift shoes. 

 "Are you okay?" A husky voice spoke causing me to shiver slightly. I turned around and felt my heart stop as I was met with two big green bandage wrapped feet. I was letting out shaky breaths as I realized the toned and muscular green legs were also wrapped with the dirty white bandages and leather straps.  

I let out a gasp as I realized it was him. Oh my god. I blinked a few times as I started to speed up my jog. It has to be him, no one else would have shoes like that.

As I started to speed up a bit more, mumbling a few 'excuse me' to people who wouldn't move out of the way, he began to break out into a run.

"Wait! No, stop!" I yelled after him as I began to chase after him. I am not giving up that easily. As he turned the corner, I realized we were now on the block of my apartment. Where was he going?

It wasn't till he ran straight into the alleyway disappearing into the darkness, did I suddenly halt to a stop.

Breathing heavily, I stayed on the sidewalk, not daring to walk inside. I shook my head as I realized this could be my only opportunity I have. And the time to get over my fear. I ran all this way, by myself, after a stranger I don't even know.

Looking behind me, left, and right, I took a deep breath and took one step inside the alleyway.

Building up the courage, as I took a few more steps, I looked around carefully. I could already see the images from that night replaying in my head. 'Don't think about it Grace.'

"Hello?" I said aloud. "I know you're in here." I froze in the spot I was in, as I heard a bit of shuffling. My heart beating in my chest. "Look, I-I just wanted to say thank you." I slowly turned my head looking around. "F-For saving me that night."