Chapter One - The Stranger

“Mr. and Mrs. Riley your room is at the top of the stairs, second door on the right. Here are the hours for meals as well as a list and directions to nearby venues. Enjoy your stay.”   She hands them a packet of information. The couple smiles and walks toward the stairwell.

Earley’s Bed and Breakfast has been a family owned business for three generations. It is a rustic looking house, red with white borders, a couple of white rocking chairs and a swing on the front porch. Looking from the outside it does not look as big as it really is. There are three levels housing eight bedrooms, seven bathrooms, sitting room where the front desk was located, huge kitchen and a large dining room. There were three bedrooms for the owners, and the other five were for guests of the establishment.

Each guest bedroom is pretty much identical, decorated with white lace curtains, a queen size bed dressed in 500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, four fluffy pillows and a homemade quilt, there is also a bedside table with a mauve colored lamp, a dresser and small closet. Three of the guest rooms have a bathroom attached and the other two shared an adjoining bath. Each guest bathroom has a large garden bath tub, separate shower, sink and brass shelves with large white towels.

The sitting room boasts a large fire place, small cream colored sofa and four chairs, two cherry wood coffee tables and the walls held sconces which, except for the large picture window by the desk, are the main sources of light. There is a small cherry reception desk at the front of the room with one executive office chair behind it, a computer and small lamp. The large picture window that looks out on the driveway is dressed with burgundy velvet curtains. The floors are all hardwood with decorative rugs spread throughout. To the left of the desk is a large staircase leading to the second and third floors.

Down a short hallway from the siting room is a dining room which had two buffet tables along the wall and four square tables with two chairs at each, all of which were made of rich mahogany. In the dining room there is one medium size window looking out onto the grounds. Through the other door of the dining room is the gourmet kitchen which is the most modern room in the house. It has all stainless steel appliances, a center island, and a round cherry dining table with six chairs. The floor is white linoleum and the counter tops were black and grey marble. Attached to the kitchen there are a walk-in pantry, laundry room and a door leading to the outside.

There has never been an employee who isn’t related to the family in one way or another. The staff consists of four employees; two are owners and the other two help with cleaning and cooking.

Vivian Earley walks over to the reception desk, stands next to Alex, looks out the window and watches a strange man approach the house.

“It looks like trouble is coming.” she says to Alex as the man walks through the door looking a bit well-traveled.

They both scan him from head to toe as he approaches the desk. He has on jeans, an unzipped brown jacket, brown work boots, and a faded blue baseball cap. Underneath his jacket is a dark grey V-neck t-shirt. He is carrying two duffle bags, one quite large and green like one you would see in the military, and a smaller one. He has his head down so his face is covered by the shadow of his cap.

Alex knew she did not have any more reservations for the week so she thinks he is just passing through looking for a place to stay.

 “Welcome to Earleys Bed and Breakfast how can I help you?”  She says greeting him with a welcoming smile.

 “I’m here to see Alex about a job. Is he around?”  He asks taking off his beat-up baseball cap looking up at Alex.

 “All yours”. Vivian whispers in Alex’s ear and pats her on the shoulder before walking away.