Chapter Eight - Halloween

*Hopefully this is starting to get interesting. I hope you continue on through the rest. The song is Seashores of Old Mexico by George Strait because it could be a song heard at the festival. Honestly, I love his voice it is very sexy. There is also a picture of handsome Jimmy.*

It’s the night of the Halloween Festival. Alex and Sarah are in Alex’s room getting ready. Although Sarah’s room is right next door, she always dresses in her mother’s room. It is like their special girl time and she loves it.

“Do you want to wear the brown or the red?” Alex says holding up two pairs of cowgirl boots.

“C’mon mom. Do you think Pete’s gonna come?”

Alex hands her the brown boots and smiles.

“I don’t know honey, maybe. Where are my black boots? Have you seen my black boots, the one’s your granddad got me?”

“I think they are in the box in the closet. Why don’t you know?”

“Know what baby?”

Alex is trying to keep her composure, knowing full well what she was talking about. All she can think about is how nice it has been to finally have some alone time with him. The way their eyes meet and the warmth that comes over her body when he is close to her makes her heart race. She smiles to herself.

“If Pete is coming or not?”

“Because I didn’t ask him. Finally, so how do I look?” She answers putting on her boots

 “Always beautiful mommy.”

Alex is wearing a long denim skirt, black embellished fitted t-shirt and a jacket to match the skirt.  Her hair as always is put up in a bun.

The Town Square Hall is the place where the town holds all of the holiday festivals, and the town’s people of Freeman love a good party. Right now it is decked out with orange and black Halloween decorations, courtesy of the Ladies of the Town. They have also set up a couple of long tables full of food, candy and games for the children.

There is a stage where a band is playing a mixture of Country and Blues music. There are a few round tables dressed in orange vinyl table cloths with metal folding chairs surrounding them, scattered throughout the hall. The middle of the floor, however, is an open space for people to dance, and boy did they like to dance. There will also be a bonfire in the back of the hall which is a highlight for the children, not only because it’s fun to look at but also because they get to make s’mores.

Alex is talking to one of the local ladies. Sarah is doing the two-step with Mac Murphy and Vivian is being chatted up by one of the local senior bachelors who’s been trying to get her to go out on a date for the past year. 

Jimmy walks over interrupting Alex’s conversation. She rolls her eyes, hoping he is just there to say hello and not bug her about dating.

“Excuse me ladies. You don’t mind if I steal this beautiful lady away for a dance.” He says grabbing Alex around the waist.

Before Alex could get a word in, Jimmy pulls her to the dance floor.  Reluctantly she amuses him with a dance. She figures he will walk away once he’s danced with her so why not. Unfortunately the distance she is trying to make between them gets more and more nonexistent.

            “I’ve been watching you all night. Girl, you look amazing.”

 “Thanks.” She says trying to avoid eye contact.