Chapter Eighteen - Sarah's Birthday

*Sort of a short chapter but very necessary. The song is Closer by Kings of Leon because it is wonderfully arranged, played and sung. I like it a lot. There is also a picture of Sarah, just a tad bit younger than she is in this chapter. Thanks for reading.*

It is a particularly sunny and Alex is having a birthday party for Sarah at the lake. Several of Sarah’s friends are there with their parents, as well as Vivian and Pete. Alex is taking pictures of the kids are running in and out of the lake, laughing and playing. Vivian is sitting at one of the tables watching.

            “She is having so much fun. I love seeing her like this.”

“She sure is. I wish your daddy was here to see it. He’d be so proud of her. Ten years have sure gone by fast.”

“I know.”

Pete walks over to Alex and Vivian.

“She’s beautiful.” He says as he watches Sarah playing with another little girl.

            “Why are you here? Don’t you have some work to do?” Vivian responds giving him a cross look.

“Sarah asked me to come. Everything that needs fixing is just about fixed.” He answers looking at Alex.

Vivian lets out a harsh breath.

“Mama please! This is Sarah’s birthday, let’s not do this alright.”

“No Alex. Your mama has something to say so it’s high time she says it.”

He can’t wait to hear what she has to say. This has been building since he got there and he is tired of it. He loves Alex and Sarah, but he will not put up with her snide comments and harsh glares anymore, especially when he’s done nothing but what has been asked of him.

            “Who the hell do you think you are? This is not your family, son. You have Alex and Sarah fooled, but I can see right through you. I know your kind, smooth talker, take what you want, don’t care about anyone but yourself. Yea, you talk a good game but we all know the truth, you’re nothing but a dumb ex-con trying to make a score. Well you ain’t doing it here. I’ll see to that if it kills me.”

            “Mother, once again you have no clue what you’re talking about. You…” Alex says fuming.

Pete cuts her off mid-sentence as he turns his whole body to face Vivian.

“I’ll take it from here Alex. Let’s address the issue you seem to have with me. Tell me if I miss something. Ignorant, ex-con, good-for-nothing, selfish loser who’s trying to take everything you have including your daughter and granddaughter. That sound right? Well you seem to have one of those right at least, I am an ex-con but not for the reasons you might think.”

            “Mike, you don’t have to say anything else.”

“Yes I do. She needs to understand that I care very deeply for your family and would never do anything to hurt you. Since I’ve been here I have done nothing but what was asked.”

“Does that include sleeping with my daughter?”  She said giving him a cross look, voice dripping with disdain.

Damn she had to go there. He has to think about how he is going to proceed with this conversation. He didn’t want to upset Alex but Vivian didn’t give him much choice.