1: Vampires In Recession

"Another night of the damned and doomed howled as their bloodletting reached a peak yet again and the dead and dying lay in a heap like a stack of hay."

A familiar setting indeed it was for the citizens of the Kylleade Empire who harboured a curdling bloodlust.

All of the inhabitants of the Kylleade Kingdom were of either vampiric descent or half-breeds.
Though the ones with ignoble blood filled with green-land vampiric genes were at most secretive about their true origin.
Their very existence was seen as a bloody desecration to the vampire race and any ones with mixed blood would face the utmost predjudice.

On a blood soaked night a bunch of about twenty-five or so human travelers were screaming in the moonlit shadow.
A dozen well dressed yet pale faced and agressive vampires were satisfying their bloodlust yet savouring the meat.
Searing them judiciously to preserve their juices for much later.

I mean human blood didn't taste as fresh if the blood seeps out of their comatose bodies, rotting faster, no high-class vampire would stand for such an atrocious dinner.

One of these vampires was casually devouring its prey as he wipes the blood from his lips with his arm.

A dark and mysterious figure adorned in ceremonial black robes, he wielded a giant ninja-like katana double-sided blade, only his pale, gaudy white face and hands were visible.

"Prince Remi", one of the lesser vampires yelled.
"Speak", the prince said in a luminously dark tone.
"I have not the patience to deal with your trivial matters squire."
"Sire, must we feed on the blood of these fowl beasts for much longer." Barked the minion.
"It is but a choice, if you wish to starve, then you may proceed to at my convenience."
"No sire, not at all sire." As the underling flees and disappears within the group of large vampires feeding on their prey.

Yes, times in the capital were difficult, the once prestigious race of Kylleade vampires were forced to feed on a small group of unwary human travelers, who traveled dangerously close to the kingdom borders.

How much longer must we continue to live like this? Remi pondered to himself.
"You look troubled my prince, tell me what is on your mind". General Roqu pronounced.
"It is nothing, Roqu I am merely passing time with my idle thoughts". Remi said.
"Your father was a great man, my prince however he did have his flaws, so you do not have the need to feel inadequate in his place". Roqu claimed.

"Yes, tell me Roqu, just how was my father during his youth?" Remi said.
"He was an admirable young man, much like you, a true warrior. Honorable and a natural in the ways of vampiric kensei (an ancient form of vampiric hand-to-hand combat), he did not however, have much in the way of vampiric etiquette", Roqu said with a hint of embarrassment.

"Well go on then, tell me, you have piqued my interest". Remi said with enthusiasm.
"King Omasse's patronage, your great grandfather Flourak, was a very strict man and at times agitated your father greatly, so much so that he ran away from the castle into the Kylleade forest and hibernated in the Lockvryn caverns for a month!"

"We mounted a search party to locate him but were unsuccessful, we had thought he was dead as Dark Elf rogues tend to scout that part of the forest for Alvenvale herbs."
"So you can imagine the look on our faces when he returned to us flustered.
"He then promised to adhere to his royal duties and that was the end of that, he really came back a changed man", Roqu claimed.

"What did father witness in those caverns that made him react in such a way?"
"Those caverns were located near the outcrops of the Kylleade forest, not even the white flesh group of vampires dare venture there."

"Why not, what's inside those caverns?"
"That is where the mythological Kitu beast dwells." Roqu said.
"What is the Kitu beast?" Remi said.
"The Kitu beast is an ancient centaurian vampire with incredible strength."
"Oh god, did father get attacked by it?" Remi said worryingly.

"Most likely not, the Kitu beast is a very noble and gentle beast, chances are he simply gave your father a much needed pep talk."
"WHAT!? Remi said laughingly.

"YES! The Kitu beast belonged to an ancient civilization of vampires, they are noble and wise and their life spawn spans several thousand years.
Unfortunately our modern day vampiric society drove out their very existence, he is the last of his kind with no chance to produce offspring." Roqu said with a sad tone of voice.
"That is sad. Who would have known our very existence would drive this legendary race to extinction." Remi said shamefully.

"Well we must not dwell on our past mistakes we must concentrate on the present and future of our kingdom and its people. We must continue our struggle to end this current conflict with the Green Land blasphemers."

"Why do you feel so strongly about the uprising of the forest dwellers Roqu?"
"Oh...it is nothing my prince, I just believed in your fathers cause, that is all."
"Were you close with father, Roqu."
"Yes, I was with him every step of the way from his early child-hood to his royal crowning of king...it was a momentous occasion indeed."
"And...I was romantically involved with your father at one point, until he met your mother, Queen Leina."

Prince Remi's face was startled for a brief moment displaying bewilderment before returning to his usual look of passive agressive.

"Do you wish to hear more of your fathers past?"
"No, Let us return to the castle to formulate a strategic plan of action against Zenrah's forces with Lord Danos' help, General Roqu." Remi hastefully declares.
"Of course My king." Roqu Said.

"Please, Roqu, I am still not comfortable with such formality yet."
"But your highness, you should be proud of your heritage and royal lineage, haha if Lord Danos heard you, he would most certainly have a fit!" Roqu said jokingly.
"Yes and I believe you are even beginning to sound like him too, Roqu, but I digress let us go perhaps we can set up a meeting with Zenrah to get him to sign a peace treaty." Remi said.

"Knowing Zenrah, he cannot be so easily lulled to do so such a foolish thing, self-preservation of his beliefs is of utmost importance to him than anything else and he would sacrifice anything to uphold it."
Roqu said sharply.

Chapter glossary:

Green-Land, white flesh: Kylleade forest vampires.
Kitu Beast: The vampiric mythological centaur creature.
Alvenvale Herb: An Elven healing herb with mystifying health giving properties, can also be used to add spice to soups.

Thanks for reading, see you next time!