4: Strenght Of The Human Heart

"The republic nation of Yuran. For 10,000 years, humans have claimed this land as their own and it was a prosperous region full of rich resources.
Its citizens were content with the peaceful conditions that filled their daily lives, but this was soon set to all change..."

The nation faces tyranny for the first time since the fallout between its fellow territories and its people.
At the centre of the strife plaguing the land and in these grave circumstances are willing to strike up an allegiance with any potential allies in the war of Saeria.

Wrought with destruction, the human race was on the brink of extinction. Their numbers dwindling and desperate, drastic action was necessary during this time of uncertainty.
King Tyrone the third, addressing the nation, the day after the capital is attacked by Kylleade forces, declares its first military defense force.

"We must unite as one, yesterday, we repelled the vampire threat and we survived."
"We must work together to ensure the very survival of our species."
"I here on in, in declaration, present the warriors, protectors and valiant soldiers who will represent the glorious kingdom of our nation."
"They will be the 'heart' of our nation, they will keep us going strong in our most darkest times."

Designated the divine army, they protect and wage war against the band of invading vampires and dark elf forces.

Lyrese, captain of the knight's division assembled by Duke Renn, bravely leads the assault against the advancing masses invading their homeland.
Witnessing many battles and surviving various life threatening missions under his leadership, has become the most hardened soldier in the Yuran defense militia.

On a typically sunny day, Lyrese and his fellow soldiers are sent on a mission by Duke Renn to scout the borders of the Yuranian forest in search of any vampiric activity.

What they encounter is more than just a band of Kylleade stragglers, but a well thought out assault in a collaborative effort by both the vampires and dark elves.

A group of about a hundred Kylleade vampires, being led by a dark elf leader and a small band of dark elven archers, begin a pre-emptive strike on Lyrese and his men.

"Nyah!!! Take this you slippery little f***! Tyriah! Stop that band of Dark archers targeting Orlo's men!" Lyrese furiously yells.

"Yes captain." Said Tyriah, the apprentice mage, as she ceases battle with the vampires engaging Lyrese and his soldiers.

She runs towards a group of dark elf archers advancing towards them, draws her hood back, revealing her tightly bunched blonde hair and points her earth staff towards the ground.

"Eat this Tremor, dark vermin!" Shouts Tyriah.
The staff shines a fluorescent white light and almost instantaneously the ground rattles and roars around the dark elf archers disorientating them.

"Now Orlo, take them out!" Yells Lyrese.
Orlo instructs his archers to target the group of now unsteady, unhinged dark elves and in a few strokes from the archers, maim the dark elves in a flurry of piercing arrows.
"Now finish off the rest of these mongrels." Orders Lyrese.

The dark elf leader perched on a high horse, charges its way through the now dwindling number of vampires in an attempt to flee the battlefield. However, to no avail as his horse is struck with an arrow. Shot with pinpoint accuracy as Captain Orlo, displays his adept marksmanship.

With the Dark Elf leader momentarily incapacitated, Tyriah and Orlo rejoin the battle to kill off the remaining vampires.

Tyriah, a skilled swordswoman, beheads one of the vampires. The head flies high into the sky, sprinkling the soldiers light armor in a coat of crimson rain.
A soldier is nearly bitten in the neck before an arrow pierces it in the mouth, courtesy of Orlo.
Lyrese an incredible warrior with giant strength performs a fatality on two vampires.
Dropping his sword, using his heavy steel gauntlets, slams the heads of the two vampires together several times, crushing them until their brains are exposed, defining the term collateral damage.

Before long, Lyrese sickeningly enjoying butchering the last few vampires, screams out self-righteously.
"IS THIS ALL YOU WRETCHED MONGRELS HAVE TO OFFER ME!"

"LYRESE, THAT'S ENOUGH, CALM DOWN!" Yells Tyriah, in frustration over her Captain's growing rage.
NO TYRIAH, DON'T YOU GET IT? THESE BASTARD'S WON'T STOP UNTIL WE ARE ALL DEAD."
"ITS EITHER US OR THEM. THEY HAVE NO REMORSE FOR WHO THEY KILL OR HOW THEY KILL!"

"Chill it partner, there's no use getting riled up over this." Orlo calmly said.
"THESE BLOOD-SUCKERS ARE GONNA GET WHAT'S COMING TO THEM AND THOSE TREACHEROUS DARK ELF PIECES OF SHIT!!!" Lyrese shouts aloud.
"Captain you are taking this too far." Said Tyriah apathetically as Lyrese storms his way towards the half-dead dark elf grinning at him amusedly.

"I applaud you, a very nice little speech you gave just now. Quite entertaining hahahaha..."
Said the dark elf leader as blood spurts from his mouth.

"Get up you piece of shit." Lyrese said agitated as he pulls the dark-elf up grabbing his hair.
"Do you like the length of my long sword, cause this is going up your f****** ass in a second!"

"NO PLEASE DON'T!" The dark elf leader pleas pitifully.
"Lyrese, stop! This Dark-elf may have critical information, we can interrogate him back at the castle." Tyriah negotiated.
"But Tyriah, you're going to deprive me of the enjoyment of gutting this dark elf piece of trash." Lyrese disappointingly said.

"Well, it looks like it's your lucky day today. Unfortunately for me, you get to live." Lyrese arrogantly murmured to the dark elf.

"Duke Renn isn't going to be happy about this Tyriah." said Orlo.
"I know, Orlo, I think Lyrese needs some serious counseling." said Tyriah worryingly.
"Nah he's just passionate, that's all." Orlo said ironically.
"Yeah, passionately insane you mean." Nervously said Tyriah.

As Lyrese and his troops march out of the forest, back to the Yuran kingdom. Two dark elves who survive the battle, come out of hiding from the back of a large trunk of a tree.

"Quite fascinating, these humans are ravenous in battle. They may present a greater threat than I imagined." Said the eloquent aged male dark elf, surveying the small skirmish that just took place.
"Sir, it is good you are safe, if they had identified you." Said the other youthful male dark elf.
"Oh I wouldn't worry at all. We are all the same to them."

"Eurkk!" The young dark elf throws up blood as he is mortally wounded from an arrow.
Appearing unfazed at the sight of his young compatriot, the eloquent dark elf responds passively.
"You must be dying, huh."
"I will be fine my emperor, as long as you have not come under mortal harm." Replies the dark elf.

"Harm? From these apes? They are far too stupid and agressive to think rationally."
"That Earth spell from that woman mage took me by surprise though, yet a perfect opportunity to escape undetected."
"Still, my fathers golden scarab ensures I remain a step faster than these mindless monkeys."
"Although it is only a shade of power of the great inferno jewel."

"Emperor Rothos, we must return to..." Before the dark elf can finish, he is stabbed in the back with a rapier through the heart.
Collapsing to the floor on his knees as his body slides off the rapier.

"You, my dear boy, will not be returning. Unfortunately, I can't risk having a witness to my whereabouts, when I should be on a leisurely stroll."

"I can't risk that detestful woman, knowing of my true intentions." Emperor Rothos coldly claims.

Chapter Glossary:

Military Defense force: The Kings divine army of soldiers.
Tremor: A powerful offensive magic spell used by low-level magicians, higher level court magicians can cast the devastating quake spell.
Golden Scarab: An ancient bracelet radiating with a mystical energy, that endows ungodly speed unto its wearer.
A relic passed onto to the legendary dark elf warrior, Yaingol, and subsequently inherited by his son Rothos.

Thanks for reading! See you next time!