Chapter 6

Today was the day I would say good bye to them. To my two best friends, my family. The funeral will start in three hours and I just stared at a picture in my hand taken from the last day of summer before school had started. All three of us had gone to Canada's Wonderland during the week Matt took my mother and the twins camping, leaving me behind.

I sighed and looked around my empty room, the shelves that held all of my note books filled with stories that Liam was supposed to read empty, except for the one I had made a copy of. It was going to be his birthday gift but now it would be buried in his casket.

For Evelyn I had a box filled with pink sand from the first time we went to the beach. We had decided to dye the sand and create our own mini beach but that ended up with a huge mess.

Tears slip down my cheeks once again and I wipe them away, glad I had worn water proof and tear proof make up. I knew I would have to leave soon but I couldn't bring myself to stand, the black dress and flatts reminding me of my destination.

Reminding me that this was real.

This was happening.

"You okay Ells?" Elliot asks, leaning against the entrance to my bathroom to look at me.

"No." I whimper out and he strides over, wrapping his arms around me as he comforts me in my grief.

"They're gone forever." I whisper and he just tightens his hold.

"They're not gone. They are in your heart and would want you to be happy." Elliot whispers and I nodd. He was right. As long as I remember them, as long as I have the memories of our adventures they will never be truly gone.

"Let's go, you have to set up everything for your speach." Elliot says gently, taking my hand as we walk towards the exit, stopping long enough for me to grab the book Liam would never read.

With a sigh we head up the stairs and to the front door, the house empty for the day since Matt took Tyler and my mother out on a 'family trip'. I didn't care. Soon I will be out of here and hopefully starting a new life, a second chance to be happy.

Elliot and I head to his hummer, the drive to the cemetery quiet as I was left to think about what today meant. I had no one left here to leave behind now.

Tomorrow I would leave but today I would mourn and remember the two who brought a smile to my lips each and every day for thirteen years of my life.

Soon the small church that sits beside the cemetery comes into view and I let out a shaky breath as this who day starts to feel more real with ever second that ticks by. Mrs. Lark is the one who greets me at the car as Elliot grabs my bag from the back seat.

She was dressed in black like me but her whole body screamed sadness. Her hair was slightly messy and her eyes were hollow, a deep sorrow and a sense of loss in its depth.

"Thank you for coming Ella." She says quietly as we hug each other tightly.

"They were my best friends, how could I not come." I reply with, giving her a sad smile.

An awkward silence fills the space between the two of us and i was glad when Elliot took this opportunity to step in.

"Hi I'm Elliot. I'm here to help Ella set up her stuff and be her support." He introduces himself and Mrs. Lark smiles, ushering us both inside the church.

Two caskets with a picture of my friends beside each one sat open. The best thing about living in two thousand and thirty one was the way a body at a funeral could look like the person was alive and any trace of how they died, whether it was a horrible accident or a desease, was gone.

Silently I place each object in their respective casket and ran my hand along the wooden frame. They looked so peaceful, like they were only dreaming. But I knew the truth.

With a sigh I turn and take my seat on the front pew, Elliot sitting beside me.

"The car is just out side if you want to make a quick get away." He whispers and I nodd, not trusting my voice just yet. He takes my hand and gives it a squeeze, pulling me to his side with his arm wrapped around me, Silently comforting me.

Soon the church has started filling with people. Friends, family, teachers from our high school and students. Today would be the longest day of my life.