Chapter 7

The viewing was long as family and friends who were asked to speak about Liam and Evelyn came and went from the podium between the two casket.

My turn to speak would come next and I was scared. These were my best friends and family, what if I mess up when they deserve so much. They deserved to still be alive.

A slow clap filled the room and I felt some one elbow me, taking me out of my thoughts as I turned to look at Elliot.

"You're turn Ells, send them off properly." He whispers and I shake my head, numbness seeping in as I slowly rose and made my way up the steps to where Mrs. Lark, Mr. Lark and  Mrs. Shale were. I felt sorry for them. Mrs. Shale was an only mother after her husband died of cancer with only Evelyn left and now she had no one and Mr. and Mrs. Lark were going to hand Liam the family bakery over to their only son because their daughter decided that her family was nothing to them.

They were all broken families, like my own. That's why the three of us had bonded so well and why we were inseparable. When life at home was so bad for any of us we had each other. Now it was just me.

"You knew them best, better then us, their parents." Mrs. Shale says as I hug her.

"You deserve to give the last speach." She added and I nodded quietly, giving the Larks a hug each before they took their spot on the pew beside Elliot and I took my spot at the podium.

My tablet was waiting for me and with a few buttons the lights dimmed and the wall behind me lit up with the video I had made. Here comes good bye by Rescue Flatts plays and I know the opening line comes on the screen from the slide show as I see a few people tear up. It was Evelyn's favourite saying "A book may end but the sequel continues"

"All of you talked about Liam and Evelyn like you knew them. But you only knew the surface." I start off with a sad quietness.

"What you didn't know was the way Liam would squint when looking up a new recipe to bake for me and Evelyn or the quirky way Evelyn would act when she was reading a new book about werewolves. You never saw the tears they shed when they were sad or happy, the way they would make any one feel better when they were feeling down." My voice cracks at the last part and tears flow from my eyes.

"To me they were my best friends. They were people I could count on when I needed some one the most. They were kind and gentle and if you looked carefully you could see how madly in love they were. But neither of them would say anything because they didn't want to ruin the circle we had.

They put others before them and they would gladly hold me while I cried. They were not just my best friends, but my family." A lump forms in my throat and I take a deep shuddering breath as I looked behind me at the pictures of us growing up. Evelyn and I wearing matching pigtails with Liam and his man bun at his eighth birthday, our first day of highschool. Pictures of them at dances with our friends from school. All our memories on this one slide show.

"Liam always said how he would be the first one to read the stories I write and Evelyn always told me to make my stories a reality. They had dreams and goals that they will never be able to reach, but they would...they would want us to continue ours and live. They may be gone physically but some one close to me told me 'They're not gone. They are in your heart and would want you to be happy.' and that's why we should live. Live for them and live for their memory. They made a difference in as many lives as they could because they believed in this world so we should believe in their memory. They will forever be my family and I will always remember them until the day I can join them." My voice breaks and the video continues on to the second part, home videos of them growing up. From them as a baby to the final one where we were entering highschool on the first day of our last year and seniors.

"...And Miss Ella is going to be the best writer Toronto has ever seen." Evelyn's voice is clear over the soft music.

"And I will pay her in food for the newest release." Liam's comes next and I can see the smirk I wore.

"You had me at food." I say sassily, grabbing a tart from the box. This was the last video we took together and I couldn't help but let out a few sobs as I watched the day replay again.

"Even after highschool we will always be together..." My voice.

"Because we are inseparable." Liam's.

"We're a family." Evelyn's.

The video ends with a picture of the two of them underneath an oak tree that I snuck with the caption 'Forever in our hearts' underneath it.

Not a dry eye was in the room as I turned to see other people crying, some sobbing loudly while others let quiet tears fall. Even Elliot was crying.

The caskets were closed and sealed and the pallbearers came and took them down the isles, me trailing behind them as the rest of the church followed. The line of black clothed mourners walked through the cemetery where we came at a spot of two freshly dug graves.

This was it.

This would be the last time they would be in day light.

More tears flows down my cheeks and I feel some one wipe them away and I turn to find Elliot.

"I'm here for you." He whispers. I close my eyes and nod, letting him pull me close as I cried into his chest, not wanting to see them being lowered to the ground.

The priest gave a small speach about the after life then the sound of dirt being shoveled onto wood noted me to the end of the funeral. It was done. They were gone for good and I would never see, hear or hug them again.

The shuffling of feet let's me know that people were leaving but I stayed frozen to Elliot's chest, letting my tears fall silently because I couldn't make a sound past the lump in my throat.

"It's done Ella." He whispers as he pulls back to make me look at him.

"Everyone is gone. It's time we head home to get some sleep for tomorrow." He adds and I turn my head to look at the two body lengths patches of brown earth with two beautiful head stones situated behind them.

This was it.

"I'll miss you. Good bye." I whisper, the last of my tears falling as Elliot led me towards the church and to his car.

He let me in the passenger seat before vanishing into the church and returning with a bag, most likely filled with my electronics, placing it in the back seat as he got in and driving away.

My eyes were heavy as I watched the passing scenes, each lid drooping until I closed them and sleep over took me.