Chap 4 "Men of Letters Bunker"

Sam's POV
Soon as we hit the road the kids fell asleep. Amelia decided to text her brother that they were leaving LA for good. After the 21-hour drive from Los Angeles, California to Lebanon, Kansas we finally made it to the Men of Letters bunker and it was 5 the next evening. "There's our front door," I sighed.
"That's your front door?" Amelia asked. I nodded. "I'm trusting you on this, Sam." She got out of the car has Devin got out of the U-Haul. "Hey Devin. This is where I'll be staying in Kansas. So if you want to head back to Cali, you can."

"I'm going to need a ride to the airport," Devin nodded

"I'm going to need a ride to the airport," Devin nodded. "And you're going to need some help unloading these boxes."
"Man, you've done enough for Amelia and my kids. I can't expect you to unload boxes either," I replied. "My brother and I can get these boxes unloaded. He can also give you a ride to the airport."
"Do I look like a chauffeur to you?" Dean asked.
"Just give him a ride to the airport and come back and help me unload these boxes," I looked at him. "Besides, if you don't give him the ride, then maybe Amelia might just kill you."
"Putting two bullets in him won't bother me," Amelia shrugged. I handed her the keys. "Right. Come on kids." She got the kids out of the car into the front door. "You can be making a couple of runs to the store when they ask their uncle to go and get them something."
"And make a supply run too," I nodded as Amelia went inside with her kids.
"We have food in the fridge," Dean replied.
"Half eaten burritos and beer are not in a child's diet. They're not in the children's food necessities at all," I nodded. "So, take Devin to the airport and run to the store and pick up some food. I'll send you a list to pick up as soon as you leave." I walked inside the bunker defined Amelia and the kids sitting in the study room. "Hey, you need help finding your rooms?"
"I don't want them wandering off on their own and to be honest I could get lost," Amelia looked at me. "So, yes I do need help finding our rooms."
"Follow me," I nodded. Amelia and the kids did. "So, this one right here is your room, Amelia. It's right across from my room so if you need anything just holler. The kids room is to your left and to your right." She opened the door to her room. "You might have to decorate it to your liking but it's pretty roomy. Unless you want one of them to have your room and you can share with me."
"What does your room look like?" Amelia asked. I opened my bedroom door. "I think I'll share with you."

"Okay," I nodded

"Okay," I nodded. A song started playing from her backpack. "What's that?"
"It's a face-time call," Amelia nodded. We walked into my room and she placed her backpack on my bed. She got out an iPad and clicked accept. "What do you want, Blake?"
"Where are you?" Blake asked.
"Not in LA anymore," Amelia replied.
"Yeah, I can see that," Blake replied. "Everything is gone. When I meant you had two weeks, I literally meant two weeks."
"I wasn't going to sit there for two weeks," Amelia stated. "I had to get out. Now I am."
"Then where are you?" Blake asked.
"Mommy!" Daniel ran in with Danielle. "Sam wants to take us out ice skating. Is it alright?"
"Ice skating for what?" Amelia asked.
"You're with Sam?" Blake asked.
"Here talk to Daddy for a little bit," Amelia handed Daniel and Danielle the iPad and pulled me outside the room. "What if he finds us? He can track my GPS on my phone."
"Signals can come in and out of this bunker but you're practically invisible," I replied. "He can only trace you within a twenty mile radius and then the signal is cut." I looked at her. "Or you can turn it off."
"Whoever invented tracing is stupid," Amelia replied as she got out her phone and turned off the GPS. "Alright, let's go ice skating." We walked back into the room. "Time to go."
"Daddy wants to take us to a zoo," Danielle smiled.
"No, Daddy's not taking you to a zoo," Amelia replied as Daniel handed her the iPad. "Give me five minutes and I'll be ready." She looked at the iPad. "You gotta stop telling them lies Blake."
"I'm not," Blake stated as she walked out of the room.
"Are you ready to go ice skating?" I asked.
"Why is Mommy mad at Daddy?" Danielle asked. "He says he loves Mommy."
"Danielle, there are some things that you can't quite understand until you get older," I replied. "You're five years old now. It's going to be another, maybe, eight years till you understand what's going on."
"But Daddy wouldn't lie to us, would he?" Daniel asked.
"What has he told you?" I asked.
"That we are going home soon," Daniel replied. "He wants us to come home soon."
"Daniel, what you don't understand is that your Mom and dad are taking separate vacations for a very long time," I nodded. I hate having my kids being put in the middle of this. It's killing me to have them grow up in this. "I don't know if your Mom and Dad will see each other again. But just know, I'm here for you guys alright. Whatever you need, just ask, and I'll do my best."
"You mean that Sam?" Amelia asked as she stood in the doorway. "Do you really mean it?"
"Yeah," I nodded. "You and your kids." I looked at the children. "And I mean it. Anything at all, just let me know and I will do my best. Honest to God's truth."