Guitar

• Dedicated to My Dusty Guitar

Dear Guitar:

I have always wanted to learn how to play you ever since I can remember, but unfortunately you do not seem to share the same feelings towards me. I can't seem to focus enough on how to figure out your complex dynamics fast enough to give myself the pleasure of learning something. I know a few chords and can play them without the ringing (most of the time) but it has been over four years with maybe four chords. One chord per year is not enough for me, I thought I could play a song by someone I like with those chords I do know but even when I find them it is so difficult. 

I tried various sources to obtain my knowledge, youtube, books, tab/chord sites, free lessons online, downloadable programs, almost even had a person to teach me but nothing seems to be working. It might be my low self esteem telling me it won't happen or it would have by now, but I can't look at you without feeling like I failed at another thing in my life.

I do pick you up now and then and go through the only book that seemed to help somewhat and just go over those chords I know, amazed I still can make it sound somewhat skillful. All I really wanted was to learn a few songs or just enough so I could play a song on my own without youtube walking me through it step by step. I never wanted to join a band or play for money/job so it isn't necessary that I learn you, I just want to. 

Someday I will find a teacher and learn how to play the guitar but for now I think I'll just settle with the random moods in which I play for a few days at a time before forgetting about you for another few months. There are other things I wish to learn how to play as well, including the piano and bass guitar so maybe I'll focus on those instead. Either way I will learn guitar and at least play a few songs I love the guitar parts of, maybe be able to learn a song without anything other than the tab for it. I won't give up, I'm just learning at a slow pace I guess. 

Sincerely,

Hopeless Musician