01| Misting Memories

--> belladonnas- for the fantabulous banner! Thank you so much! I love it! You guys need to go check out her cover shop!! Her work is absolutely phenomenal!

[This chapter was previously called Traitorous Feelings]

Details:

Posted: 15th March 2019

***

One: Misting Memories

May 2008

Swirls of paralyzing mist swept away from the wretched scene; leaving everything as clear as the light of day. She stared; horror melting the frown of confusion that the gun had brought onto her mellow, young face.

Her eyes stung with the burning tears that she struggled to hold in. She would not, could not break down. She wouldn't give him that pleasure. Clouds of mist swirled around her vision. Like fog on a cold night at sea, everything seemed so heavy.

Betrayal coursed through her veins like lead, dragging her underneath the surface of life as she knew it. Down, down, down she went.

Like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, except all those butterflies weren't exhilaration; they were dread.

Pain was the searing sword that had been placed on her heart and torn it apart, never to be fixed again. A heart that had once been filled with so much love, had been hollowed out and filled with so much hurt, in just a matter of seconds.

Numbness washed over her, her brain trying to make some sense of the overwhelming agony that she'd been thrown into.

"Please, Ryan-don't. I'm begging you."

She never begged. Never.

But when promises were broken so were the limits one would go to, to salvage what was lost.

Cold, blank emotionless grey eyes met hers. Silence ensued it.

She would never forget that look.

Could she?

Swirls of mist once more greyed her vision.

"Plea-"

But she was interrupted. Interrupted by the sound of three metallic bullets piercing the bodies of three innocent people and the agonizing sounds of pain that they wrought. Blood. That was the first thing she saw and then smelt. It surrounded her and cocooned her in a fear so strong that her whole body froze, and her heart turned to ice. A wrecked sob broke out of her as the breath rushed out of her lungs and her eyes blurred. She brought two sweaty clammy hands over her mouth, still in a dazed stupor. And as the cries of the people in front of her reached its crescendo, she screamed in pain.

"No!"

A pain so harsh and so hurtful it rocked her body to its core. She clenched her teeth.