05| A Painful Punishment

clearlyshania for the absolutely lovely cover 💜 And for letting me take part in her awards :)

Date Published: Wednesday, 20th March 2019

***

Three: A Painful Punishment

May 2008

He ambled out of the house and towards a back alley that would lead him to the drop off point.

He wouldn't remember this later.

He passed a garbage dump, a few blocks away from May's house. After wiping the gun clean of his prints, he chucked it into the garbage bin.

He felt his ear begin to itch a little and he felt around it, searching the cause of the sudden irritation. His fingers grazed across a black beady thing, and he pulled it out. Flipping it around on his palm, his forehead creased. He could not fathom what it was.

Shrugging his shoulders, he wiped it and after stepping on it and crushing it to bits, he sent it into the same dark abyss as the gun.

He looked up at the starry night and tears slithered down his face. It was the first time he'd cried since that disgusting man had killed his parents.

Two years ago, he'd lost the two-best people in his life. It was the worst thing that had ever happened to him. He quickly dried his eyes and walked ahead, making sure no one saw him or the blood on his shirt, which he had covered with his coat.

His mind was heavy. So, so heavy.

Shaking his head to clear the fog, he rerouted his feet towards his house.

White eyes winked angrily at him from across the sky, and a shooting star flew past him. He quickly walked back to the apartment he shared with his friend's family.

He'd been staying there for the past few days since his grandfather had gone abroad. He would be back tomorrow. Hopefully, everything would be okay and Rosa would be back.

Thankfully, the Patels had believed him when he said that his sister was staying with friends. They had their own problems to deal with anyway. Big ones. His best friend Aditya was the only one who harassed him about his sister. He was sure something was going on. Ryan had a feeling he had a bit of a thing for his little sister. He unlocked the door and then closed it behind him.

No one was at home except for Kiera. She was often left at home alone. Having seven older brothers who had a penchant for leaving the house most of the time and parents who fought every chance they got made loneliness a haven for her. Ryan talked and played with her once in a while, but she seemed to prefer painting or sketching in that little book of hers.

Ryan crept into the bedroom he shared with Aditya.

He was extra vigilant after he had taken her. He went to the attached bathroom and stepped into the shower, turning on the hot, burning water.

He let the water cascade down his body, and thoughts began to fill his head.

What had he done?

All he remembered was that it was something completely unforgivable.

But what was it?

Pain. Destruction. Hell.

"Her parents took something irreplaceable from me, so they have to pay for it with their lives. The boy must die too. But not the girl. Leave her. She cannot be touched."

Vendetta. Vendetta. Vendetta.

Oh, his head. His poor, poor head.

He got out of the shower and dressed quickly. He had to go to the meeting place.

He was getting late.

He stepped out once again into the starry night. The diamonds flashed on the midnight blue blanket that lay above him, like torches signaling the lost souls.

His soul was gone, not lost.

He had broken his promise, his vow.

He had made her cry.

Oh, his head.

He walked up to the motel he had been told his sister was kept. His lovely sister, the only one who was left for him to care for. The only one who could make this pain reduce, even though I would never, ever go away.

A tiny, almost ghostly smile whispered across the lips of his worn-out face. At least he would be able to finally see her. His beloved sister.

Her blue eyes drifted into view. Her face-sweet and innocent. Her laughter-like bells. He had protected her from bullies, boys, mean girls and not to forget, boys.

But he couldn't protect her from Vendetta. No, with Vendetta, no one could win.

He unlocked the door with the key he had been given by the receptionist and walked in, a smile drifting onto his face as he thought of being able to see her for the first time in months. But the sight in front of him rendered him speechless, emotionless.

Instead of seeing his sister for the first time in months, he saw her for the last time, as blood poured out of her body, like a gushing waterfall. How could so much blood come out of such a small person.

He rushed toward her and dropped into his knees.

"Rosa!"

He clutched her hand. She felt her give it a small squeeze. Her eyes were about to flutter shut, but before they did, they locked onto his and she smiled and then closed them, never to shine as bright as the blue sapphire she had around her neck, again.

A small note was taped to her stomach. He picked it up.

Confusion filled his vision.

The boy is alive.

Vendetta

******

Next Update: Friday, 22th March 2019