28| Therapeutic Torture

Date Published: 10th May 2019

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Therapeutic Torture

              September 2018

"Oh my goodness, I feel like I should get a bowl of popcorn," said the dark skinned woman in the doctor's coat. "Your story is starting to sound like one of those telenovelas my mother likes watching."

"It's crazy isn't it?" May chuckled, picking at a loose thread on her sweater.

She would never have thought that talking about her pain would ease it.

Two days ago she'd come into-well, more like been shoved into the therapist's office by Mrs. Will-Pricilla and made to sit down-quite forcefully on the patients chair.

Surveying her handiwork, Pricilla had nodded and said "This is what's best for you, dear," and left.

Then it was all Sarah's weaseling that had made May tell her story.

Sarah Abdullah was a tall, lean woman who had an intense love for using Arabic words in her sentences. May could atone to that. Maybe that was just her background.

The first day they'd met they'd just sat, staring at each other; until after fifteen minutes of excruciating torture May had gotten up to leave.

When she reached the dark wooden door and placed her hand on the handle Sarah's voice had stopped her, "Talking about it helps you know? You don't have to think of me as a doctor. Just tell me what happened, it's definitely worth a shot,"

"And why specifically you?" May had asked.

"Because I might be able to help you move past it." She said, then added as an after thought, "you know, with the PhD, the prior experience and all."

May had given her a wry smile. "I'll think about it,"

And she had.

And decided that maybe if she told her the story, she'd feel better. Maybe it would help her process everything that happened.

Because, what had happened? It was beyond miraculous, something she would never have expected.

So the next day she decided to tell her, story. And after going five minutes over her session time and Sarah almost cancelling her next session just so she could hear the rest of May's story she'd left. And decided that she liked Sarah.

She wasn't like other therapists. She didn't know how yet. Maybe it was her youthful light.

"So then what?" Sarah asked, crossing her feet Indian style. "Don't tell me you're going to end up dating the doctor; because life does not work that way,"

May laughed. "Aditya? No way, I didn't even think of him like that," she said. "Besides, he's Ryan's best friend."

Sarah tucked in a loose crease in her nude coloured hijab. She straightened another on her blue loose pants. Hadn't she ironed them properly this morning?

Then she placed her hands on her lap. She really needed to stop fidgeting.

Be practical, Sarah.

She redirected her attention to her extremely interesting patient."At least the worst is over, Habibti," she comforted, patting her hand.

The poor girl.

May chuckled.

Wait, wait just a minute.

And then it hit her. Sarah perked up, only then fully understanding the implications of May's last statement. She couldn't even believe-she a certified doctor missed that. "Wait-"

But May interrupted her, "Trust me Sarah, the worst hasn't even begun,"

****
Next Update: Sunday, 12th May 2019

****Next Update: Sunday, 12th May 2019