15| A Death Like Conversation

Date Published: 8th April 2019

Chapter Fifteen: A Death like Conversation

June 2018 {Fifteen Minutes Earlier}

'Not yet Aditya, not yet," Ryan replied.

"Alright. Tell me when you're getting back." A sigh was heard over the phone. "And good luck with May. Don't push dude. She won't come around then. Let her think things through first,"

"Sure,"

The line went dead.

He let his head rest on the steering wheel. What had he been thinking? He had been so stupid to leave her in the parking lot alone and unattended. He should have driven her home.

He was so stupid. An utter idiot.

But he had been so angry. Angry and afraid. Angry because she wouldn't believe him. What chance did he have with her if she couldn't even trust him? Afraid that he was falling too fast into an oblivion that he would never escape from. And if she rejected him in the process, he would be shattered; forever.

The feeling was like that moment when he would unknowingly skip the last step and come hurtling down the stairs.

As if he had slipped on a banana peel and was falling.

He'd just come out a board meeting. He rolled up the tinted windows and removed his shades. His cod calmness during the meeting was all a farce. He was a roiling mess on the inside and didn't even know what to do. He'd called his secretary and told her to cancel all of his other meetings. He couldn't work in the state he was in. He was taking a break.

His phone began to ring.

He looked at it and cursed. It was that model again. Couldn't she get the hint? It was only a one-time thing. She didn't even know what half of his face looked like. He could look like an ogre and she'd still want him?

Money.

Of course. What else?

He cut the call and blocked the number.

Maybe now she'd get the hint.

He drove in silence for a few minutes, his thoughts throwing him into a new low.

Maybe he should forget everything and just get out of her life.

That she would appreciate wouldn't she?

Then she'd be free of him. And maybe-maybe he could start anew. He wouldn't let himself fall for her.

How could he ever love someone who wouldn't trust him?

Suddenly another shrill tone interrupted the silence in the car.

His eyes widened and he started at the phone on the dashboard. That was the phone number he'd given May.

She was calling him.

God. She was calling him.

He almost swerved to a stop. Someone honked from behind him and he pressed the accelerator, pushing forward. He quickly picked up the phone and answered.

"May?" he called as he exited the highway and changed his route. He was going to her house.

"What the hell have you done with my sister, you asshole?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me,"

"Jason?"

"Ding, ding, ding, give the boy a prize." He shot. "Now, tell me where she is this instant or I'll call the police."