34| A Different Kind of Ache

Date Published: June 3rd, 2019

Chapter Thirty Four: A Different Kind of Ache

She was running.

Her heartbeat thundered in her chest. Her eyes watered and her shoulder burned.

Her footfalls echoed across the long, silent corridor; each step sending cold chills down her spine. She looked over her shoulder to see if it were still chasing her—no, she was as clueless as you are as to what was chasing her but she know something was.

And it was something dangerous.

Something that scared her shitless.

The sound of gunshots resonated in her ears; echoing in strange waves—like being inside a church bell when it was being hit.

Her breath came in puffs, and her hands were wet with persperation.

She wished she could just curl up in a ball and cry.

Bawl her eyes out until the end of time.

Suddenly she felt herself stop at a door. Her hand reached for the knob and a feeling of dread overtook her.

She couldn't even stop herself. The dread became suffocating. She twisted the knob and pushed the door open.

The sight made her blood curdle. A shot of fear streaked down her spine. Her heart squeezed.

Really hard. As if someone were holding it and squashing or between there fingers.

Was she having a heart attack?

Her parents bodies lay haphazardly on the floor. Their arms splayed out, blood trickling out of the smoking holes in their swollen heads.

Their eyes were bloodshot.

They were open.

Their heads were titled towards her, frozen with a morose expression. It wasn't any hate or reproof in their gaze. Only a nostalgic realization of the failure of their hearts in their steady beats.

May wanted to crumple. She wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. She wanted to throw up. She wanted to remove the bullets and fix those damn holes. She wanted to reverse-

She steeled herself. But she couldn't.

And nothing, nothing could be done about it.

This was a dream. It had to be a dream. Like the countless others she'd had.

It was a dream—and she couldn't bring them back.

So stop rethinking it for the billionth time, you bloody moron!

She looked up; knowing someone would be standing a few meters away—watching, like he always was.

Ryan's face was stark in the picture. If everything else we're black and white—he was in color. He was the only thing in this picture that made sense.

But it wasn't true. He didn't do it.

She focused her cerulean blue eyes on his grey ones. 

He stared back—emotionless.

She turned her gaze molten.

"You didn't do it!" She yelled at the figure. "Stop lying to me! Show me who killed my parents."

At his lack of response she waved her arms in anger. "Can you even hear me?"

He gave her a nauseatingly grin. She wanted to scream.

She closed her eyes.

Ryan didn't do it.

Ryan didn't do it.

She knew he didn't do it.

So why couldn't she see that he didn't do it?

Maybe a different technique then.

She opened her eyes and softened her gaze. He looked back—confused.

She took a deep breath; pain marring her very soul.

"I forgive you," She whispered. "I don't hate you anymore." She placed her fingers at her temple. Oh, how it hurt.

"Ryan, I know you can't forgive me for what I did. And I understand that. brought on all this pain into our lives and if I'd just believed you in the beginning—. If—" she sighed, this was no use.

Movement caused her gaze to flick back up to his face.

Except—except it wasn't his face any longer.

Green eyes stared back at her. Dark blonde hair danced before her. An utterly different set of lips smiled nauseatingly back at her.

She cried herself awake.

Then she proceeded to cry so much she could hardly breath. Every three seconds she'd have to gasp for air. Her hands rubbed her eyes into a conniption.

But with her face wet and her pillow soaked, she let out an enormous sigh of relief.

But even with all of that, she felt an ache in her chest.

A different kind of ache.

She missed Ryan.

It was a stupid thought.

Because he would never forgive her.

So she had to move on.

No matter what.

And she would.

She would.

Besides, everything was starting to feel  a little less horrifying again.  

She couldn't smile yet. But eventually—eventually she knew she would.

***
Next update: Probably somewhere next week because this week is Eid!!

That one will definitely be the epilogue or maybe not. Not sure yet..

P.S: How about a sequel?? With—lets say.. Jason? 🌚

 Jason? 🌚