iwaoi ➳ drifting

From midnight calls and melodious laughter to bland conversations and invitations to nowhere. A whole lifetime of friendship and this is what he got in return.

Once again, the trio were out making memories together. Memories without him. Not a single invite or a word uttered, and it didn't help that overthinking was something he had grown accustomed to.

Maybe it was an innocent gesture, forgetting him like they usually did, and taking their time to rip away the bond glued together by memories and all that made him feel content.

He had been completely aware of this situation, but it was only a false reality that his paranoid self had come up with. It was a nightmare come true, one that he couldn't prevent from eating it's way through his happiness. A small bit of him hoped that he was simply overthinking this, like it was just a figment of his imagination, but the truth was, he knew that they were falling apart.

No matter what he did, all the hints that he dropped through blunt words over a dimly lit screen, they never seemed to go through to the latter's head.

At 2 a.m., he lay under a mess of blankets, fingers curled around the hem of his wrinkled shirt. He was drowning himself in sorrow as he hugged a pillow stained with tears that had been held in for too long.

Breathless laughter, that he smiled bitterly at upon recognizing Hajime's from the rest, and light teasing echoing from wall to wall as the same videos were replayed continuously. Chocolate irises blank, reflecting eyes crinkled from smiling too wide and heads thrown back from boisterous laughter.

Suddenly, he despised the feeling of pure happiness radiating from his "best friends."

~~

written on November 11, 2016 and November 13, 2016.