Fate

FATE
SUMMARY: When fate is cruel and will do anything to stop Meanie.

Warning: Those prone to tears should avoid this chapter at all cost. Happy endings do not always exist, especially if Meanie does not happen.

* * *

Jeon Wonwoo. Aged 20. Diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Even Jeon Wonwoo knew it was rare. It was rare for someone of his age, rare for them to have detected it so late, and rare chance that he would live to see his own grandchildren.

The thing that bothered him the most was not his own body eating away at the years of his life, but the fact that it meant his beloved Kim Mingyu would be left behind in this mortal world alone.

"You can't blame yourself for this. It's my body that's failing on me... on us."

Wonwoo wanted to make sure that Mingyu would be okay.

"That's why you should have taken better care of yourself."

Mingyu knew he would definitely not be okay.

"If I had met you sooner, I would have found a reason to do that earlier... I have regrets now... And I'm sorry."

Wonwoo prayed for a difference. If he could, he would have gone back in time, take better care of his precious body (precious to Kim Mingyu), gone to the hospital earlier and ensured that he lived as long as he could.

"I must have done something terribly wrong in my past life. This must be karma and I must be deserving of punishment."

That was the only reasonable explanation for Mingyu.

"I'm the one being punished."

Wonwoo knew he had disregarded the beautiful person in front of him and taken him for granted. It still amazed Wonwoo to this day--how the perfect Kim Mingyu could end up as his.

"Then why are you the one being taken from me, hyung? Why!?"

Mingyu tortured himself through sleepless nights, wishing if only he had found Jeon Wonwoo earlier. If they had met earlier, if Mingyu had confessed earlier, if Mingyu had fought for him earlier, then they would have more time together.

"Because someone out there knows that I don't deserve you."

He should have just gone for Mingyu. Why did he hesitate? He almost lost Mingyu once, forever and now he was about to lose Mingyu again, forever.

"If we both think that we don't deserve each other, why did I even meet you."

Mingyu knew of his feelings for Wonwoo long before Wonwoo even paid him any mind. He was the one to deny them. He was the one who refused to fight for him. He was the one who was late. And now, he knew that he was and will always be too late.

"Fate. We were destined to meet."

Wonwoo could say that with full confidence. Every single one of his dying cells fully believed that. He was born to meet Kim Mingyu.

"But we must not have been destined to be together. I wish I never met you... in the next life, I hope you and I will never fall in love."

Wonwoo was and has always been the only one for Mingyu. Even when he tried so hard to convince himself otherwise, his heart told him loudly and clearly. It wanted no one else but Jeon Wonwoo. It needed no one else but Jeon Wonwoo.

"Mingyu-ya..."

Wonwoo knew that Mingyu would be left here alone in pain. He would be gone, free from the pain, eventually, but Mingyu would not. And that thought hurt him more than the cancer did.

"In this life, I will love you until the day I no longer exist. Even if it means by myself. Even if in ten years time, I'm with someone else, just know that I'll still be out there somewhere loving you while you have left me. Feel guilty and take that with you when you leave me. That's your punishment."

Mingyu did not know what else to do.  Wonwoo's body was broken, but Mingyu's heart was broken. And just like how Wonwoo's body cannot be fixed, Mingyu knew that his heart could not be fixed either. He could not stop loving Jeon Wonwoo.

"I hate it. Once I am gone, my feelings will be gone, my love will be gone and so will my pain. But Mingyu-ya, you will continue to bear this pain alone. So I beg of you now, take as much time as you need and forget about me. If we ever meet again, I shall pray for whatever it takes for us to never fall in love. In our next lives, I will be the only one to feel pain and you will feel absolutely nothing, because the pain you will feel now in this life is enough for the rest of all your lives."

Mingyu had no tears left. He had cried enough for this man that would be leaving him.

Mingyu had felt so many different emotions for Wonwoo. Mingyu was so happy just with Wonwoo there. Mingyu was so sad when he found out Wonwoo had little time left. And now, all he had left was anger. Mingyu was angry at the world for ending their story this way.

In my next life, whenever that is, if I am reborn as Kim Mingyu, please grant me one thing.

Please make it so that I can not feel anything at all, happy, sad or angry, so that I can never fall in love with anyone, because of Jeon Wonwoo.

And so, in their next lives, when both Jeon Wonwoo and Kim Mingyu existed together once again, the forces of the universe made sure that Jeon Wonwoo would find someone else and that Kim Mingyu would never lose his heart to anyone, if not Jeon Wonwoo.

* * *

A/N: Sorry. Just didn't feel like making it a happy ending.

Feel free to unfollow and not vote. Comments with complaints are also highly appreciated.

But this is the only reason I have for Wonwoo or Mingyu ending up with other people besides each other soooooo BAHAHAHAHA it's still MEANIE!