nineteen

Devlyn Tevere

I wake up at 9pm with my mouth as dry as cardboard.

My throat physically hurts from my lack of hydration.

I tiredly push myself out of the comfort of the bed and head into the bathroom.

Roman's not in bed, maybe he's still awake?

Or maybe he's mad at me for telling him to leave, who knows?

I stare into the large mirror and I can hardly recognize my reflection staring back at me.

It barely looks like me but I'm honestly not surprised.

I have dark circles underneath my eyes and my cheekbones are now more visible, since I lost a lot of weight.

I notice that all the make up that was caked onto me has been removed, maybe Savannah got rid of it? Bless her soul.

I'm still in the lingerie and robe, though.

I splash cold water onto my face and change into a pair of warm pajamas, brushing my teeth afterwards.

Once I feel refreshed, I tie my tangled hair into a bun, not bothering to fix it.

I jog downstairs to grab a drink, since I'm not really hungry.

I'm standing there taking gulp after gulp from a bottle of cold water I took out of the fridge when someone unexpected walks into the kitchen and stands in front of me, watching me.

"When did you get back?" I screw the cap of the bottle shut and question Leo, crossing my arms.

"Uh...three weeks ago." He replies vaguely.

"...oh?" I awkwardly answer, playing with my fingers.

Why the hell was he brought back so early?

"You just got here today, didn't you?"

"Yeah, that's right." I nod.

"It's because we couldn't keep track of you. We knew where you were, then we didn't. Then we did and then we didn't. Every-time we went where we thought you were, they'd transfer you. It was easier to find me. The people sent me to an organ smuggling hospital..." Leo explains, trailing off.

"Did they remove anything from you?" I ask, not wanting to ask something that would hurt him.

I instantly regret the question, I mean it's none of my business.

Why can't I keep my fucking mouth shut for once?

"No, thank god. I was saved before they could."

"That's a relief." I give him a small smile.

"Yeah, it really was." Leo agrees.

"You were great back there," he starts, taking a step closer to me. "We would've escaped if our spray bottles didn't have holes in them, right?"

"Yeah, I guess." I shift my weight from one foot to another, feeling uncomfortable by how close he's getting to me.

"You're amazing, Devlyn." He breathes, his breath hitting my face.

My jaw clenches and I already knows what Leo's about to do but he acts before I can stop him.

He closes the small gap between us, locking his lips with mine.

Ugh.

I mean I get that I kissed him on my first day here, but it was to make him fuck off, I didn't want to give him the wrong idea.

I put my hands on his chest to push him away when I hear someone swear loudly behind Leo and I.

I shove Leo away and turn around to see Roman standing there with his mouth wide open, a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

Were those for me?

I feel my heartbeat speed up and I instantly know that shits about to go down.

"Roman, this isn't what it looks like, let me expla-" I desperately start trying to say.

He cuts me off angrily, putting his hand up to silence me.

I shut my mouth and listen to him.

"Devlyn, I told you to think about your decision, to know that you actually meant it, and you weren't even willing to wait enough to just think about it?" Roman speaks, his voice breaking towards the end.

"Please, just hear me out-"

"No! I'm done trying with you!" He yells, shoving the flowers into my shaky hands.

He glares at Leo before suddenly throwing a punch at his face.

I cringe as a loud crack fills my ears.

Probably his nose.

"You? Get out of my house!" Roman barks. "I don't want to see you, ever again." He hisses loudly before storming off.

I watch with a heavy heart as Roman walks away and I turn back to glare at Leo who's holding his bleeding nose.

"Are you serious? You just have to ruin everything god, don't you? You're like a fucking tsunami, destroying everything in front of you!" I snap, crossing my arms.

"I like you, okay? I couldn't help it." He states shamelessly.

I give him a skeptical look before rolling my eyes.

"Sweetheart, I like you is 8 letters." I speak.

"...and?" Leo asks, clearly confused.

"And so is bullshit!" I spit before waking off, leaving Leo there to take care of his probably broken nose.