twenty-four

Devlyn Tevere

The first thing I felt when I woke up was wetness.

A lot of it.

And it wasn't the wetness you're thinking of, no.

I'm not the slightest bit turned on by the fact that I'm tied to a chair and just had a bucket of freezing water dumped on my head.

What sucks is that (a)I'm thirsty and not a single drop of that water went down my throat and (b)that was a fucking waste of pure, drinkable water.

I kind of care about the earth's future, sue me.

I raise my head and slowly open my heavy eyes, blinking to let them adjust to the light.

Once I think I'm fully awake, I look at my surroundings.

I'm in a small, square room and I'm in the center of it, surrounded by a bunch of pissy looking men dressed in black. Daniel and my supposedly dead father being one of them.

How is this asshole still alive? I shot him myself.

I glare at them all, feeling my blood boiling.

"How the fuck are you still alive?" I ask my dad, John.

"Figlia, mi hai sparato e ti sei lasciato. Non hai visto che il mio corpo è sepolto." He simply answers, his voice calm and emotionless. Translation: Daughter, you shot me and left. You didn't see my body being buried.

"Si, I shot you multiple times, John," I nod. "That was enough for me to think that you were gone for good. Clearly not, since you're still here, breathing." I spit, venomously emphasizing the last word.

He laughs loudly, throwing his fat head back.

What the hell is so funny?

"You never learn from your mistakes, Devlyn. You think you know everything, you think you know how to live a criminal life properly. You don't." He speaks.

His shitty English is enough to make me want to choke him to death right now but I can't, yet.

"Clearly I do, since I've been living that life for years and I'm still here breathing, living." I retort angrily.

"Yes, and you nearly got sold to some old man in a human trafficking ring at one point. And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I just have you saved since Roman kidnapped you?" John asks me, absentmindedly playing with a thick, gold chain on his neck.

That shut me up.

Because he was right.

I could've easily gotten away from Roman, I just had to will it.

But I didn't.

I didn't want to.

I wanted to stay with him, I want to stay with him right now.

But why? Am I developing feelings for him? Am I? I really am.

SIKE! I'm Devlyn Tevere. And I don't fuck with feelings.