forty-one

Devlyn Tevere

I didn't have to be told a third time. My ego is too big for that. I huff and storm off without looking back once. I quickly stuff my phone and charger into my handbag, then grab my keys and walk out of the house, straight to my car.

Once I'm inside, I notice how fast my heart is beating. It took a lot for me to just walk away like that, I'm not ready to give up on Roman and I. I angrily hit my steering wheel multiple times so I can let my rage out and drive calmly. Once I'm relaxed, I drive out of the estate.

I'm going to distance myself from Roman. Say nothing until he comes and says sorry to me for overreacting. For now, I'm just going to go home and live my life. I refuse to let a man of all people ruin me. I'm an independent bitch.

...

Once I got home, I greeted Harley and my dog and hung out with the two for a while before we decided to cool off in the pool, since it was pretty hot for 6 in the evening.

So now, we're chilling in the pool on donuts. The sun hasn't even started to set yet, since it's summer and it gets dark at 9pm. I'm currently drinking my second guava cruiser and Harley's drinking a sprite since she's driving us tonight. We have plans to go out for dinner soon and then go do some business, then spend the weekend together binge-watching shows on Netflix.

I filled her in on everything that went down at Roman's house and she was shocked, to say the least. She offered to go kill both Roman and Damien and I don't think she was joking. I politely declined her offer.

"Do you reckon we should get out and start getting ready now?" Harley wonders out loud.

I groan before agreeing with her.

"Probably, we don't want be late." I skull the rest of my drink and then slide off the donut and into the pool so I can get out.

Harley follows my actions and we head inside to shower and get dressed. Once I've showered, I dry and straighten my hair as quickly as I can, then slip into a black jumpsuit that I had picked out earlier.

 Once I've showered, I dry and straighten my hair as quickly as I can, then slip into a black jumpsuit that I had picked out earlier

I pair a small chain bag with my outfit, slide into some beige heels and put a Cartier bracelet onto my wrist. I keep my make up minimal and spray some VS perfume on when I'm done. I eye my reflection in the mirror and satisfied with what I see, snatch my phone and wallet off my vanity to make my way downstairs where Harley is waiting for me, keys in hands.

"Bitchhh, you look so hot." She compliments as we make our way out.

"So do you." I smile at her, eyeing her short bodycon dress.