thirty-four

Devlyn Tevere

I open my eyes and blink several times to clear my vision before groaning in pain. My hand instantaneously goes to the back of my head, where a hangover is forming.

"Oh you're awake, good. My legs were starting to go numb but I didn't want to wake you." A male voice speaks from above me.

I look up to see Kane looking down at me curiously. Shit, I fell asleep.

"No offence, as much as I enjoyed you being in my lap I'm gonna need you to get up because I really can't feel my legs." He pleaded.

I push myself away from him and check the time on my phone. 12am. My eyes widen and I look back at Kane.

"How long was I out for?" I question.

"2 hours give or take." he shrugs and gets up, stretching.

"Well, thank you for letting me sleep. I really needed it." I admit.

"No worries. Shouldn't you be with Roman?" he inquires.

Fuck, I totally forgot about Roman. If I was gone for 2 hours, shouldn't he have at least come looking for me? Maybe he did and couldn't find me.

"Yeah, but I needed some air because I felt sick." I lie. "Also, how did you know about Roman and  I?"

"Everyone here knows everything about each other. Want me to take you back to him?" he offers kindly.

After a moment of considering it, I nod. "Yes, please."

He extends his hand for me and I take it, pulling myself up. Thankfully, I'm more sober now and  can walk on my own. I'm still slurring a little though, and I'm not completely in control of what I say.

I look at Kane and see him looking down at our intertwined hands. He eyes the ring on my right hand for an abnormally long time. Then he finally speaks.

"Before I take you in, I have to ask. Are you okay? You seemed pretty bothered when I found you out here." he squeezes my hand before letting go of it.

"I found out today that I can't have kids." I blurt, covering my mouth right after. I wish I didn't say that. Why did I say that? This is why I don't drink often.

He looks surprised and he looks at me, his expression softening, probably trying to think of what to say.

"You don't have to say anything. I shouldn't have just dumped that on you. I don't even know you, for fucks sake." I ramble on.

I shiver slightly and look at my feet, embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, I wish there was something I could do to help." He gently says and rubs my shoulder. His touch was so comforting. My stomach instantly dropped with a guilty feeling.

"It's not your fault." I shrug. Tears start to from in my eyes and I blink several times. I will not cry, especially not in front of a stranger. I don't cry.

"Also, I haven't told Roman about this yet. I need time to figure out how. Can you please not say anything?" I choke out, struggling to speak through the lump forming in my throat.