[ prologue ]

"Alison, come downstairs sweetie!" My mummy calls, shakier then usual. She sounds scared.

"Mummy, are you okay?" I ask as I run toward the kitchen table she is sitting at.

"What? Oh, I'm f-fine sweetie." She stutters, staring at something behind me.

I spin around, following her eyes. I see my daddy, standing before me with a gun in his hands pointed at my mummy, his eyes wild and untamed.

"Daddy, what are you doing?" I ask, frightened.

"Step away, darling. I don't want to hurt you." He warns, keeping the gun pointing at my mummy.

"Are you going to hurt mummy?" I ask him, not moving.

"Alli, go back upstairs, sweetie." He repeats, getting angry. I don't like it when my daddy gets angry, it makes him hurt me.

"No. I won't let you hurt mummy. I'm not going." I say, frowning and crossing my arms.

"You give me no choice..." He starts, pointing the gun at me.

He is going to kill me. I get scared and begin to cry, running to my mummy.

"Leave us alone." I sob, hugging my mummy. I know he won't listen, he never listens when he is angry.

"Alison, I'm giving you one last chance... if you don't move I will shoot." He warns, scaring me even more. But I won't leave my mummy, not now.

"I'm not leaving!" I scream at him, making him more angry.

"Alistair, please." Mummy begs, tears spilling from her eyes aswell.

"No. You cheated and now you must pay." He says, steadying the gun.

"I only did it because you're crazy!" She screams, crying even more.

"I love you Alison, so so much. You have to get away from him, your father. Get away before he can hurt you too. There is a house in Philadelphia, a school and people you can call. Give them this note and they will take you in as their own child. When your old enough, leave, and take Amy with you. I love you so much Alison, I love you." Mummy says, slipping a small note into my pocket out of sight of daddy.

"I love you mummy." I cry, as daddy pulls the trigger and shoots mummy between the eyes.

"NO!" I scream as the blood drips from her forehead, onto my arm but I don't care. I hug my mummy for as long as I can remember, only letting go when my daddy slaps me across the face so he can bury the body.