Chapter 3

The room before me is to die for. First of all, it is bigger than my kitchen and dining room put together, and probably my whole old bedroom added on. The walls are painted a very pale pink colour, and the roof is white. The carpet is a creamy-white colour, with a white, furry rug layed under the bed. The bed. The bed is a four-post, queen-sized bed, with an old, wooden bed frame and sheets that are cream-coloured, but match the room perfectly. It looks like Regina George's room from Mean Girls, but maybe even grander.

I can't help but jump onto the perfectly made bed, drowning myself in the duvet. This confirms my suspicions - the bed is just as comfortable as I'd assumed.

I walk over to the wooden set of drawers, sliding open each draw to find them all empty except one. A small, leather notebook sits in the bottom drawer. It looks maybe 10-20 years old, and I can't help but pick it up and open it. The pages are old and frayed, but the handwriting is neat and still legible.

'To my beloved journal,

I am hoping my girl will find you someday, and read every word of you. She will realize the truth about me, and about the horrible things that happened to me. I am hoping she will make it here to find you, journal, and she won't suffer the same ending I came to. If she is reading this, I-'

My reading is cut off by a sharp knock at the door. I quickly throw the book back in the drawer and slide it shut, promising myself to get it back later.

"Can I come in?" Rachel's voice calls.

"Yes." I call back, just as the door swings open.

"How are you settling in?" She asks eagerly, looking around at the room before her with a warming smile.

"Great." I say, following her eyes. "It's fantastic, really."

"Thankyou. Now, we have a family across the road coming for dinner tonight for your greeting. The Simpson's. And no, they aren't yellow-skinned and their father isn't called Homer either." Rachel jokes. "I was wondering if you had anything to wear?"

"Um... well, there's these... uh, no. I don't." I hang my head in embarrassment that I'm so poor I can't afford well-fitted clothes. The jeans and sweater I am wearing now are much to small for me, and the bra I'm wearing is 4 sizes too small, because I used up my savings buying fresh underwear that my father refused to get me. I have to borrow tampons from Amy when it's that time for me, because I haven't any money to get my own.

"That's alright, my daughter left a few items in her room when she left, you could choose from them. Her room is the one next to yours. Now, before you go, tell me what you don't have that we need to get you." Rachel smiles kindly.

"I don't have any clothes that fit me properly, proper fitting underwear and bra, I need tampons, and a new toothbrush and hairbrush. Oh and maybe some new shoes, because these sneakers are much too small." I gesture to the sneakers which my toes are sticking out of. Amy bought them for my 15th birthday, using the last of her savings.

"Well, it looks like you have the same shoe size as me, and I'm sure Lucy's room has one or two bras there. You can use my hairbrush. For the underwear, we will get it for you tomorrow. In fact, we will get you all these things tomorrow." She smiles, placing her hand over mine. "Feel free to use the shower in your room, there will be tampons, razors and toothbrushes in there. Enjoy, sweetheart, it's all yours."

"Thankyou so much." I say, extremely grateful of her kindness.

"Thats alright, sweetie. Go and take a look in Lucy's room, and I'll leave you to have a shower." Rachel says, exiting the room.

I nod a thankyou and walk towards the room next door, Lucy's room. It looks exactly the same as mine and Amy's rooms, except for the fact that it is personalized.

I open each of the drawers, looking for clothes. All are empty except for the bra drawer, which is full of different sized bras. I take 3 different colours of my bra size, and head for the walk-in-wardrobe. I pick out a pair of stonewashed denim jeans, and a pink flowy tank top. I also take a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, sweatpants, a jumper and a pair of pyjamas before walking out of the bedroom.

Once I get back into my bedroom, I go into the ensuite and open the cupboard under the mirror. I find a razor, a toothbrush, tampons and I manage to obtain a crappy plastic hairbrush, but it's good enough for me.

I open the shower door and turn on the hot water. I climb in, feeling the warmth running down my neck, soothing my sore shoulders. I haven't had a hot shower in a long time, and I don't realize how much I've missed it until I feel it again. After enjoying the feeling again for a moment, I cover my legs and armpits in a soapy lather before running a razor over them, ridding them of the ugly black hairs that have taken place there for far too long.

I scrub my hair with shampoo and conditioner, enjoying the feeling of my fingers rubbing at my dry scalp. It has been too long since I've had a good wash like today. I rinse the shampoo from my hair and climb out of the shower, drying myself off before blow drying my hair and pulling my fresh clothes on.

I put my dirty clothes in the hamper laying in my bedroom before packing away my hair dryer. I check the clock on the wall for the time.

"5:57." I mumble to myself, cleaning up my bathroom before exiting my bedroom. The guests should be here any minute.

"Amy!" I call, opening Amy's bedroom door.

"Hey." I hear her familiar voice calling from the bathroom where she is applying her cheap makeup.

"Hey. You look amazing." I gesture to her familiar tight black skirt and flowy blue tank top.

"Thanks. You too." She smiles, bringing me in for a hug. "I can't believe we are so lucky to be here right now."

"I know." I agree, hugging back. "Rachel is so lovely, and this house is amazing. Any house would be fine, but this house. I mean wow!" I emphasize the wow, gesturing to the room.

"Girls, our guests are on their way!" Rachel calls from downstairs, and I wink at Amy before leaving her with her makeup.

"Amy's doing some finishing touches." I inform Rachel and she nods understandingly.

"Now, there are both parents and one boy. He is about the same age as you and I would like you to make him

comfortable and welcome. He is a bit shy sometimes, but he will talk to you. Just make him feel at home." Rachel explains as the doorbell rings. "They are here!" She rushes to the door and opens it carefully, embracing the family that walks inside.