Chapter 28

It was now the date of the court hearing. I had brushed my hair, applied my makeup, pulled on my formal black dress and was currently pulling on a pair of black heels. Incredibly nervous was an understatement of what I was feeling.

As I fit my foot into the left shoe, there is a knock on the door.

"Come in." I call softly.

The door opens and in walks Brad, looking gorgeous in an expensive Giorgio Armani suit. He smiles warmly at me, approaching the bed and sitting down next to me before pressing a soft kiss to my forehead.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hi." I return the facial expression.

"You look beautiful." He compliments, raking his eyes up and down my body in a somewhat appropriate manor.

"I feel like I'm attending a funeral." I admit, forcing a chuckle from Brad's lips, "But thankyou. You pulled up quite nicely yourself." I tease and he raises his eyebrows at me as I stand up from the bed, him following suit.

"Is that so?" Brad plays along, taking a slow step toward me. In these heels he isn't towering so far over me, in fact - due to his lack of height - we are nearly the same size.

"Mmhm." I hum, leaning in slowly as he does the same, a cheeky smirk playing on both our faces.

Just as our lips are about to touch, the door bursts wide open, making us jump back from eachother in surprise.

"Hey-oh. Sorry." Amy giggles, covering her mouth, "I just came in to tell you it's time to go."

"Oh... um, thanks Ames." I smile awkwardly at her, "You look nice." I compliment.

Amy is sporting a mid-thigh length navy blue dress with a cream blazer over the top, bright red lipstick painted across her lips and identical black heels to mine. To say she looks stunning would be an understatement; she would give Miranda Kerr a run for her money.

"Thankyou." She smiles, looking over herself again, "You look amazing, as always."

I don't reply, only return her comment with a thankful smile.

"So, are you guys ready?" Amy changes the subject, looking over to Brad and gasping, "Oh my god!"

"What?" Brad panics, looking over his suit and touching his hair, but Amy just simply shakes her head, covering her mouth with one hand, "What is it?"

"You look amazing, Brad." She compliments and Brad's cheeks go bright red.

"Oh-uh, thankyou." He smiles sheepishly, before reaching over to grip my hand. Brad's never really gotten over the first time he met Amy where she shamelessly flirted with him.

"It's okay, I'm not interested anymore." Amy rolls her eyes, "You two are literally perfect for eachother. I'm not going to ruin that and if anyone else tries to, I'll beat them up."

I chuckle at Amy's violent demeanor, smiling up at my amazing boyfriend, who is doing the same to me. We slowly lean in to kiss, but Amy cuts us off again.

"Okay, okay! We really have to go, save all of that for later." Amy runs off down the hall and we follow her, laughing.

And for a second, it made me forget about the events to come;

But only for a second.

-----------------------------------

We all gathered in the courtroom, Rachel, Amy and the other viewers (including Pauline and Jack's mum), sitting in the seats behind us and me, Brad and our lawyer, Justin - who is honestly one of the nicest people I've met - sitting behind a wooden desk with our speeches and folders scattered across it.