Chapter 17

ALLIS POV

"Fuck!" Brad screams, slamming his hand against the bedside table and scaring me.

"Sorry, baby." He apologizes straight away, smiling sadly at me. I smile back, taking his hand in mine as he sits back in bed with me.

"It's okay." I promise him, cuddling into his chest.

"My dad's going to kill me." He sighs, fiddling with my hair.

"You were protecting me, Brad." I tell him, hoping it will cheer him up.

"I know." He sighs and my heart droops.

"Do you regret it?" I ask quietly.

"No, of course not. Don't think that, baby, I'm just nervous about how my dad will take things." Brad assures me and I let it go, cuddling back into his chest.

"I love you." He tells me, kissing my hair and my heart flutters out of my chest.

"I love you too, so much." I tell him, rubbing his thigh gently as he continues playing with my hair.

"Alison Shaw?" A doctor asks, stepping into the room.

"Y-yes." I stutter, pulling away from Brad's grasp.

"It's time for your surgery. Come with us, please?" He says kindly and I nod, standing from the bed. I am scared out of my mind for this, I've never actually been in a hospital, not even when I was born. My mother had a home birth.

"C-can... can he come?" I gesture to Brad and the doctor sighs, but nods. Brad leaps from the bed and is at my side, holding my hand.

"I'm scared." I whisper nervously.

"Don't be, I'm right here. I'll be watching the entire time." Brad tells me and I am relieved. Knowing he is there, watching me, comforts me hugely.

"Will it hurt?" I ask in a small voice as we enter a viewing room, with a big, clear window that shows the surgery room.

"They have to give you a little needle, but that's it." He says, shrugging and I begin to panic. Not needles, anything but a needle.

"What! No, not a needle I really can't handle needles. I-I can't do this if there's a needle, no." The words fall quickly from my mouth and Brad's face turns very worried very quickly.

"Shh, it's okay, it won't hurt. They put some numbing cream on the spot so it doesn't hurt. After that you'll be put to sleep and they'll operate." He explains, offering me a smile but I don't return it.

"I'm so scared, Brad." I tell him and he brings me in, hugging me tightly.

"It's going to be okay. You will be fine." He assures me and I nod into his chest.

"Alison, you'll need to come with us now." The doctor says and I reluctantly pull away from Brad as he kisses my forehead.

"I'm right here, Alli!" He calls as I walk inside the surgery room and he stays in the viewing room.

I walk over and sit on the long seat I am instructed to. Four doctors with big cape-like things on, masks and what looks like a plastic beanie, probably to keep their hair in, walk over to me.

"Hello, Alison. How are you feeling about today?" A woman asks nicely, pulling her mask down. She has very nice teeth.

"N-nervous." I stutter and they each laugh. I don't think I like these people very much, I thought they were supposed to be supportive and kind.

"No need to be. It's a simple operation, would you like me to explain what we are doing?" She asks, smiling at me.

"No thankyou. I just want it over." I laugh nervously and she nods.

"Very well then. We're going to give you a small injection for the anesthetic, and you'll be asleep in seconds." She says as another doctor hands her a very scary needle.

"O-okay." I stutter looking through the mirror and finding Brad's worried face. He is standing with his hand over his chin and is watching everything like a hawk. If I just focus on his face, maybe I won't feel the pain...

"Ready?" She asks and I nod, still focusing on Brad's gorgeous face. I feel the needle go into my arm and I close my eyes, the pain unbearable. I've had needles before, but none like this. I can feel the anesthetic going into my arm and it is horrible. The needle is stinging and as I look over I see small amounts of blood begin to form at the injection site. Tears roll down my cheeks and I fist my hospital dress to try and ease the pain. Even after the lady takes the needle out, it hurts just as bad, maybe worse. I look up at Brad and he is wincing. It must have been pretty bad.

Just as I am thinking about how long it will take me to fall asleep, I feel my eyes droop closed and the last thing I see before falling into my deep sleep is Bradley...