«Chapter 2»

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V

After Anna and Bucky left, a man approached Steve. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with your friends. I would like to have a word with you," he said. Steve didn't know what else to do but nod. The man walked away and Steve almost had to run to keep up with him. He brought him into a small doctor's office. "Just wait here please," he said. Steve sat down on the bed and looked around the room. 

After a few seconds, he stood up and sat down on the chair that was a few footsteps from the bed just to have something to do. A man in uniform then came into the room again and stared Steve down without a single emotion on his face. Then, the first man came back. "Thank you," he spoke to the soldier, and the soldier left. He closed the curtain, leaving Steve and the unknown man alone. 

"So, you want to go overseas," he asked, flicking through a file with Steve's name on it. "And kill some Nazi's?" 

"E-excuse me?" Steve stuttered. 

"Doctor Abraham Erskine. I represent the strategic scientific research," he introduced himself. Steve stood up and took the hand he held out, shaking it softly. 

"Steve Rogers," he said. The doctor nodded quickly. "Where are you from?" Steve asked slowly after noticing the man's accent.

"Queens, 73rd Street on the Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. Does this trouble you?" he spoke. Steve was taken aback for a second before shaking his head. "Where are you from, Mr Rogers? Is it Paramus, or Brooklyn? Five different exams in five different cities?"  

"That might not be the right file-"  

"It's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries," the doctor said. "But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazi's?" 

Steve looked at him, confused. "Is this a test?" 

"Yes," the doctor said as if it were obvious. 

Steve sighed softly and thought for a short second. "I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies, no matter where they're from." 

Erskine nodded approvingly. "There are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is a little guy." Steve simply stared at him. "I can offer you a chance. Only a chance," he said, walking out of the office, through the curtain. 

Steve followed him quickly. Without a doubt in his voice, he said, "I'll take it!" 

Erskine nodded, opening his file. "So, where is the little guy from? Actually," he asked. 

Steve smiled shortly. "Brooklyn." The doctor put a stamp in his file and handed it to Steve. 

"Congratulations," he spoke. "Soldier." 

As Doctor Erskine left, Steve opened my file and saw a big green A in the left bottom corner. His eyes widened slightly and a smile crept its way onto his face. 

***

"Anna! Anna, you home?" Steve yelled when he stepped into their shared apartment. 

"Calm down, Steve. It's two in the morning," Anna said with a groggy voice, coming out of her bedroom. "What happened?" 

Steve bit back a grin as he handed her the file. Her eyes went huge when she opened it. 

"Okay, how much did they charge you?" she asked, sighing with disappointment. 

"Nothing. I was accepted," he said, almost bouncing with excitement.