«Chapter 42»

"Why am I so nervous?" I asked my reflection in the mirror. 

"Relax, it's gonna be fine," Natasha Romanoff called from behind me as she rummaged through her bag. 

"I know it'll be fine. That doesn't take away the nerves," I muttered, looking down at my hand in my lap. 

"You love him, don't you?" America asked, continuing to work on my hair.

I nodded. "Yeah, I do." 

"Then you have nothing to worry about. Today is your day," she said, smiling as she pinned a twirled strand of my hair back with the bobby pins Natasha had gotten her. My hair was soft and wavy, I wasn't used to it feeling or looking this way. 

Natasha had introduced me to a curling iron today, and I had been completely baffled. Back in the day, women, myself included, had to put their hair in curling pins before bed and take at least an hour every morning to do just their hair. But with a curling iron, this whole process took merely half an hour. 

"Thank you for doing this, Natasha. I know we aren't exactly friends but, you know..." I said softly. 

She smiled. "Steve is my friend, and you're his sister. The fact that you nearly strangled me a few times doesn't change that," she joked and I giggled.

"Sorry about that," I said, scrunching my nose awkwardly. 

"It's fine. You weren't the first and you'll definitely not be the last," she said, chuckling. 

America put the final bobby pin in place. "What do you think?" 

I looked at my appearance in the mirror. "I love it. Thank you," I said in awe. My hair was lightly curled as it lay on my shoulders. I had a side part and one strand was pinned back. My makeup was light and natural. Just some mascara, concealer, blush, and nude lipstick. 

"Okay, time to get dressed," Natasha said, putting her hands on my shoulders. I nodded and fought back an excited smile. 

Natasha and America had already changed into their dresses. Natasha's was deep blue, had one strap over her right shoulder, reached to her knees and hugged her body nicely. America's dress was light pink, had long sleeves and the skirt reached just below her knees.

My pearly white wedding dress had a tight top with a loose skirt that flowed down to the floor. I had chosen to wear flats since I hated walking in heels. My wedding bouquet had been arranged by Queen Mother, the queen of Wakanda. She had a way with flowers and it had been an honour to have her pick my bouquet. Bucky's corsage was tuned into the bouquet and had the same white flowers. 

America helped me with the dress and I put on my shoes. 

A gentle knock sounded on the door. "Come in!" I called and my brother stepped into the room. I felt my cheeks flush as I smiled at him.

"Wow..." he breathed softly. "You look... amazing." 

I giggled. "Thank you." 

"We'll give you a minute," Natasha said and I nodded. She and America left the room, closing the door behind them. I found Steve looking at me with a smile. 

"I never thought I'd live to see this day," he said, digging his hands in the pockets of his pants. 

"Is that a compliment?" I asked, playfully raising a brow. 

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Yeah, that's a compliment." 

"Thank you for being here, Steve." I smiled softly, wrapping him in a hug. 

"Of course. No government could keep me away from my baby sister marrying my best friend," he joked and I laughed. 

The door opened and I drew back from the hug. "Everyone's ready. Are you?" America asked, peeking her head around the door.