«Chapter 51»

A N N A ' S   P O V

A N N A ' S   P O V

With shaking hands, I sat on the edge of the bathtub in our bathroom. My eyes were trained on the white stick in my hands and over and over, I repeated, "Please, please, please." 

The timer of my phone went off and I dropped the test to the ground. I rushed to pick it up again and turned it over, letting out a sob in the process.

Pregnant, it read. Tears welled up in my eyes and the inevitable excitement curled my lips into a large smile. "Bucky!" I exclaimed, racing down the stairs and startling my husband who was making breakfast in the kitchen. I threw my arms around him. 

"Anna! What's going on?" he asked, laughing at my behaviour. He pulled back and looked me over, spotting the pregnancy test in my hand. "A-Are you...?" 

I nodded vigorously and a large grin spread on his face. He hugged me tightly. "Oh, my God. This is amazing!" he called out, twirling me around. "How did you know?"

"I didn't know, I just had a feeling when I woke up. So I took the final test we had left and it came back positive." I grinned. "Buck, we're having a baby." 

"I know, this is insane!" He hugged me again. "We need to call Steve, let him know he's gonna be an uncle!" 

I nodded, pulling back. I fished my phone from my pocket and dialled my brother's number. 

"Hey, Anna," he said, rather cheerfully. 

"Hey, Steve. How have you been?" I asked. 

"Pretty good. I just got back from that therapy group I told you about," he told me. 

I sat down on the couch, Bucky following me. "Oh, right. How was that?" 

"Alright. People had some pretty horrible stories, but we got through them. It was actually really nice to talk about it," he said. 

"That's nice to hear, Steve. America would've been proud of you. I am, at least," I said. 

"Thanks." I could hear the smile in his voice at the mention of her name. Over the last year, Steve had been getting more and more at ease with talking about her. "Anyway, I'm sure you didn't call to just chat. What's going on?"

"Right. No, I didn't." I shifted in my seat. "Steve, you're gonna be an uncle. I'm pregnant." 

A silence fell on the other side of the line. 

"Steve?" 

"Y-You're pregnant?" he asked.

"Yeah, I am." I bit my lip as I anxiously awaited his reaction.

"Anna, that's amazing! Congratulations!" 

I giggled. "Thank you," I said. 

"I'm happy for you guys, really," he said. "You deserve this."