«Chapter 40»

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V

"All your vitals are holding steady. I think you're ready to start the procedure," Doctor Jelani told Anna and she smiled, nodding. 

"That's good, Doctor, thank you," she said and he removed the blood pressure machine from her arm. The cryo freezer in front of her looked better and more comfortable than the ones she was used to, and somehow, she was actually looking forward to the procedure to get HYDRA out of her head. 

Steve came toward his sister, his hands dug deep in his pockets. America trailed behind him, hesitating to come closer. "You sure about this?" he asked. 

Anna sighed. "I can't trust my own mind," she said. "And this is the only way to get this stuff out of my head. This is the best thing, Steve. For everybody." 

"I wouldn't say for everybody," Bucky's voice spoke up and she turned around, greeting him with a smile. 

"Buck," she chuckled, shaking her head lightly. "You'll be fine." 

"I'll give you a moment," Steve said, placing his hand on his sister's shoulder and smiling. He wrapped her in a hug and none of them spoke, mostly because they didn't know what words there were left to say. America smiled softly before leaving with her husband.

Anna turned to Bucky. 

"Anna, I want to ask you something," he said. 

"Okay?" she asked. 

"Ever since we were young, I've had a crush on you. I didn't want you to know because I was scared of your reaction and I didn't want to ruin our friendship. When we got older, that crush grew into love, and I fell head over heels in love with you. I love your smile, the light in your eyes when you talk about things you love, your kindness, your passion. All of it. 

"And when you fell from that train, I beat myself up over it. I hated myself for not being able to save you," he said, avoiding her eyes. "But here we are. Seventy years and a bit later. The Anna I know is still in there, I know that," he said, tapping her forehead, making her giggle. "Which is why..." 

Anna gasped and held a hand over her mouth as he knelt down on one knee. "Anna Sarah Rogers, I love you with all of my heart, so when you wake up after all of this is done, will you marry me?" 

She nodded her head like an overexcited child, tears in her eyes. "Yes, Buck, I'll marry you," she said, pulling him up to kiss him. Around them, applause sounded and Anna pulled back from the kiss, finding Steve and America looking at them with proud smiles.

"This was kind of a spur of the moment thing, so I don't have a ring, but-" 

"That's fine," Anna cut Bucky off, giggling. She wrapped him in a hug. "I love you too, Buck. So much. Thank you," she whispered. He pressed a kiss to her cheek and stepped back.

Anna turned to Doctor Jelani and nodded. He approached her and said, "I suppose congratulations are in order?" 

She giggled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thank you," she said, smiling up at Bucky. 

"I hate to be the one to end this moment, but are you ready to begin?" Doctor Jelani asked and Anna nodded. 

"Yes, I am," she said, pushing herself off the bed.

"Anna, wait!" America called and Anna turned around. "I just want to say thank you. You know, for being there for me back at HYDRA," she said, wrapping her arms around herself. 

Anna smiled. "Thank you, too. For looking after my brother when I couldn't," she told her. 

America's eyes filled with tears and she wrapped her arms around Anna, hugging her tightly.