«Chapter 52»

"Mommy?" my four-year-old daughter's voice broke me from my thoughts and I turned away from the window where I had watched my husband as he worked in the garden. 

"Yes, honey?" I asked, walking up to her. 

"How do you spell 'daddy'?" she asked. 

"Here, let me help you." I crouched down next to her and took her hand in mine. She was holding a blue marker. I traced it over her paper and successfully wrote 'daddy' over the head of one of the stick figures she had drawn. I looked at her drawing for a second and counted the figures. "Who's that?" I asked, pointing at the pink stick figure next to the one with Steve written above it. 

"Auntie Mer," she said casually, continuing to give my stick figure more hair. 

I smiled softly, pressing a kiss to her head. Outside, a dog barked loudly.

I pushed myself to my feet and travelled to the dinner table where Bucky had dropped off the mail when he had come home from work yesterday. I sifted through the letters and my eyes landed on a yellow envelope. I frowned slightly and ripped it open. It was a letter. 

Hi Anna,

I found these when I was cleaning out my attic. Hope you like them! 

Love,
Steve

Added to the letter were five pictures, all of them taken on mine and Bucky's wedding day. I smiled when I saw the first picture of me stuffing wedding cake in Bucky's face. The next was of us sharing our first dance. Another of me throwing my bouquet into the crowd. 

I looked up and was just in time to call out, "Oh, no, honey, don't put that in your mouth!" I ran up to Lyra to stop her as she attempted to eat a yellow scent marker. 

She pouted. "Not nice," she said. 

I giggled, running a hand through her auburn hair. "Shall I get you a real snack instead?" I asked and she nodded excitedly. 

"Cookies!" she cheered as I travelled to the kitchen. I took the packet of chocolate chip cookies from the cupboard and placed two on a plate, adding a glass of milk. Outside, I heard a car honking but I discarded it, thinking it must be one of the neighbours. 

A loud scream erupted from the living room and I dropped the glass of milk in my hand. I sprinted back to the living room, arriving at the same time as Bucky, who looked as startled as I probably did.

Lyra sprinted to me, hiding behind me as I hid behind Bucky in return. In the middle of our living room, a few inches above the floor hovered a bright orange portal. "What the hell?" Bucky muttered quietly. I searched for my daughter's hand, taking it in mine.

"Mommy, I'm scared," she whispered and when I looked down, silent tears were streaming down her face. I bent down and took her in my arms, hugging her close to my chest. 

A figure emerged through the portal and my breath hitched in my throat. 

Bucky was the first to speak up. "S-Sam?"

"Hey, guys," Sam Wilson said, chuckling softly. 

"W-What..." I began to say, but I didn't know exactly what to say. 

"I have no idea, but Steve needs our help," he said. 

"Steve? What's wrong with him? Is he okay?" I asked. 

"Thanos is back." 

A shiver ran down my spine and my throat went dry. I glanced at my husband, seeing he held the same haunted look in his eyes. His eyes met mine and he nodded. We turned back to Sam. "Okay, give us five minutes," Bucky said and Sam nodded. 

I rushed upstairs with Lyra, stuffing some clothes and toys and other necessities in a bag before hurrying back downstairs. "I'm taking her to Jeanie," I told Bucky. "Say bye, Lyra." 

"Bye, Daddy," she mumbled. 

"Bye, babydoll, I love you," he said, pressing a kiss to her head.

I then rushed to our elderly neighbour, Jeanie, who had watched Lyra so many times before. I knocked on her door and she opened seconds later. 

"Anna, dear goodness, you scared me. Have you watched the news?" she asked, a ghost-like expression on her face.

"Yeah, we have. Can you please watch Lyra? We have to take care of some things," I asked, placing my daughter on her feet. 

"Yes, of course. Be careful, I heard it's chaos out there," Jeanie told me, holding out her hand for Lyra to take. "How about we make some cupcakes?" 

Lyra nodded softly, attempting a smile. I knelt down in front of her. "Mommy and Daddy will be back before you know it. Go have fun with Jeanie, okay? I love you," I said, pulling her in for a hug. 

"I love you too, Mommy," she muttered before joining Jeanie to the kitchen. I sent her a final wave before rushing back home.

In the time I had been gone, Bucky had retrieved a box from the attic that I would have preferred stayed there. He took out the clothes we had worn during the battle of Wakanda. I let out a soft breath. 

"You okay?" Bucky asked me softly and I nodded. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said and swapped my casual clothing for the protective armour. I tied the top half of my hair back with a hair tie and took the gun Sam held out to me. 

"Let's go," I said.

Sam held his finger to his ear comm. "Cap? It's Sam, can you hear me?" A grin spread across his face. "On your left." 

He motioned for the two of us to follow and we stepped through the portal. The sight before me chilled me to the bone. 

An enormous army, lead by Thanos himself. And before them, stood my brother. Heavily beaten up with just half a shield. His eyes met mine and I smiled softly. 

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked to my left. Tears welled in my eyes as I saw America standing by my side. I didn't hesitate to wrap her in a tight hug. "You're back," I whispered. 

She giggled. "So are you." 

We turned back to Steve. By our side, a massive army had formed. From the Avengers to the Dora Milaje and from the Guardians of the Galaxy to the Asgardian army. We were not alone, and we were gonna win this.